georeference.org
Subscribe to this thread
Home - Scripting / All posts - Create perpendicular lines with specific midpoint
firsttube

1,303 post(s)
#15-Jun-11 21:06

Attached is a project containing a drawing: "Lines Points". It contains a line and points at regular intervals along the line.

What I need is a script and/or query that will:

Create line objects of 10 metre length with midpoint being each of the points, and perpendicular to the direction of the existing line object at each point.

Any ideas?

Attachments:
create_perp_lines_midpoint.map

danb

1,428 post(s)
#15-Jun-11 21:50

I did something like this once but cant find it now. There are probably better ways, but as I remember, what I did was:

1. Create a linepart whose center would be the line point and make it 10m long.

3. Rotate this around the line point taking the bearing from the line.

Landsystems Ltd ... Know your land | www.landsystems.co.nz

qwasdo
133 post(s)
#16-Jun-11 08:42

Attached is the project with a spatial Query to select and build perpendicular lines.

The quick and dirty way:

1. Normalize Topology on the "Lines Points" Drawing to get line segments. Each of this segments has now a Bearing (I).

2. Create new Column for an spatial index to build a relation between Points and the Line. In this example we have the Points show the end nodes of the Line Segments. For an accurate Bearing (I) transformation from lines to points, the points should reside on the center of the line. Anyway in this case I deleted the curved line segment.

3. Create a new Drawing for each geometry type.

4. Build a realation in the Points table on the Line table using the spatial index. Choose at least Bearing (I).

5. Run the Query and link it as a new Drawing.

Attachments:
create_perp_lines_midpoint.map

firsttube

1,303 post(s)
#16-Jun-11 13:43

Thanks for the responses! Qwasdo, your query works great. However, I do need to incorporate the curves into it. I was going to create a tiny buffer (10 cm) around each point, then clip the lines with those buffers, and use the tiny lines inside the buffers for the bearing from which I would calculate the perpendicular. I think I can take what you've written and build on it to do that.

danb, I'd like to see your linepart method, if you can find it or recreate it.

Thanks!

danb

1,428 post(s)
#16-Jun-11 19:12

firsttube, I should have time to have a better look today.

danb

1,428 post(s)
#16-Jun-11 21:15

this is what I was thinking of though unfortunately, it isn't going to help you much in its current form:

OPTIONS COORDSYS("Lines Points" AS COMPONENT);

SELECT RotateAbout([GEOM][LPGEOM], 90)[GEOM]

FROM

(SELECT LinePart([ID], (([Length (I)]/2)-5), (([Length (I)]/2)+5))[GEOM]

LinePoint([Geom (I)][Length (I)]/2)[LPGEOM]

FROM [Lines Points]);

qwasdo
133 post(s)
#17-Jun-11 08:03

Dan,

RotadeAbout 

is a nice slq function I never thought about before.

But

LinePart(geom, f, t[, unit]): Returns that part of a line between specified distance

limits on given line. Both distances are measured from the start of the line and 

continue between

branches.

If the line part is bent, you don't get a straight perpendicular line to the first one, even using a rotation angel of 90°.

danb

1,428 post(s)
#17-Jun-11 09:42

My purpose was quite different from firsttube's and I thought what I had might be of use, but perhaps not.

qwasdo
133 post(s)
#16-Jun-11 21:21

Firsttube, I didn't want to rip off your curves, therefore a new map file just with rounded lines.

I don't know how Mfd calculates the Bearing (I) of single branched curves, but I guess the average bearing of all segments of the line is taken. Assuming this I picked up your buffer idea to generate perpendicular lines.

I seperated line and point geometries from the start and used a helper drawing to figure out the min. buffer width so buffers won't overlap (this step could be improoven). The points drawing intersects on the line, eigther on node points or on segments.

Just refresh the linked drawings and enjoy.

Attachments:
create_perp_lines_midpoint_withBuffer.map

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2011 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.