Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Proprietary shape file, is there a way to complile a viewer and shape file to give to a client?
AColbe012 post(s)
#21-Apr-14 19:22

Wanting to protect my asset (Shape file with valuable data). Is there a way for a novice client to see my data that can be used by another program nor be able to export/copy my data?

antoniocarlos

609 post(s)
#21-Apr-14 19:36

Hi

I think you need to be more specific. Manifold exports PDF and KML vector files, as well as JPGs. All can be turned into "data" with some work. I have found that the layout export (using layers) is the best way to let a client see the map and manipulate them without seeing the actual data.

AGT

How soon?

antoniocarlos

609 post(s)
#21-Apr-14 20:22

If your data is so valuable. You might consider asking your client to sign an agreement saying that he/she will not use the data for purposes other than those you concord with before sending anything. Just a thought.

How soon?

tonyw
736 post(s)
#21-Apr-14 19:44

Revised, misread the subject line.

Yes, exporting to PDF creates a PDF with layers that the client can turn on and off. You can lock down the PDF so it cannot be printed or anything copied from it.

Not sure what data the client needs to see and use in another program. If the client is going to use your data in another program, it's pretty hard to prevent copying or exporting that data because it's already in their possession.

AColbe012 post(s)
#21-Apr-14 21:13

Lock down a pdf? We're using both 9 and 10 to create packets with the maps. So to prohibit printing and copying can you also restrict viewing till a particular date in the future say 90 days or until 12/31/2014. Sorry this really isn't the appropriate site to be asking Adobe questions. ................ but you opened up another way to control the information.

Mike Fisher

899 post(s)
#22-Apr-14 07:53

One way to provide time-limited viewing for a novice client would be to utilize IMS - viewing through a web site where access can be controlled.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.