Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Installing IronPython
tjhb
8,009 post(s)
#18-Jul-15 03:31

These instructions apply to Manifold 8.0.29 and IronPython 2.7.5, superceding earlier instructions on the forum.

Get the current IronPython installer (not binaries) from here:

http://ironpython.codeplex.com/releases/view/169382

Close Manifold.

Run IronPython-2.7.5.msi. Confirm the default options, and confirm allowing it to make changes when it asks.

Relaunch Manifold.

Create a new script, specifying IronPython as the language.

Uncheck the option to add references for standard .NET modules.

Open the script, then the Script > Reference dialog. There should be no modules listed.

Click the button to add a new reference. Navigate to IronPython.dll:

By default IronPython.dll is installed to \Program Files (x86)\IronPython for 64-bit Windows, or to C:\Program Files\IronPython for 32-bit Windows. If file extensions are hidden you may need to enable them in Windows Explorer options.

Run the script. You should get the Hello World message. (If not, re-read the above.)

Now the IronPython dlls have been automatically added to the .NET GAC (global assembly cache).

(You can see the compiled assemblies in \Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL\IronPython and \Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL\IronPython.Modules.)

In future, new IronPython scripts do not need an explicit reference to IronPython.dll. Manifold will find the assemblies in the GAC.

For each new IronPython script, set the language to IronPython, and always uncheck the option to add references for standard .NET modules. (You can add any necessary references inside the script itself.)

You can add an explicit reference to IronPython.dll for new scripts, but don't need to.

danb

1,628 post(s)
#18-Jul-15 07:14

Thanks very much for posting this Tim. It is great to have a definitive series of steps to get IP working. D

Landsystems Ltd ... Know your land | www.landsystems.co.nz

danb

1,628 post(s)
#20-Jul-15 21:25

Great. Thanks for these. I have finally got IronPython working on my work machine. My Problem seemed to be that I was still on 8.0.28. Once I updated to 8.0.29 everything worked.

Landsystems Ltd ... Know your land | www.landsystems.co.nz

tjhb
8,009 post(s)
#20-Jul-15 21:49

Thanks Dan. I hadn't thought of it but that makes perfect sense since both Manifold 8.0.29 (the .NET parts) and IronPython 2.7.x are compiled for and require .NET framework 4.x (not 3.x like Manifold 8.0.28).

tjhb
8,009 post(s)
#18-Jul-15 07:50

What about IronPython add-ins?

They don't need an explicit reference to IronPython.dll either, provided that an IronPython script has already been run so as to add IronPython to the GAC.

tjhb
8,009 post(s)
#18-Jul-15 07:52

If anyone has contrary experience, especially installing IronPython in an environment where they are not an administrative user, it would be great to see the details here.

jkelly

1,234 post(s)
#20-Jul-15 00:27

Thanks Tim for the easy to follow steps.

Just tried, and it all works like a treat. Don't think I'll be letting go of my c# blanket just yet though!

James Kelly

http://www.locationsolve.com

cartomatic

886 post(s)
#04-Aug-15 07:33

some more python tools in visual studio for those interested is: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2015/08/03/why-write-python-in-visual-studio.aspx

maps made easy - www.cartomatic.pl || www.cartoninjas.net

tjhb
8,009 post(s)
#13-Aug-16 02:51

I was pleased to notice recently that IronPython development has been given new momentum, after a change in project leadership (July 2016).

Not that there is anything wrong with IronPython 2.7.5 (released December 2014). But already the pace of new commits is hugely increased (GitHub).

There seems to be renewed enthusiasm to find a way to support NumPy, and to move to Python 3.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2017 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.