Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - IronPython 2.7.6.3
tjhb
8,089 post(s)
#05-Sep-16 09:41

IronPython 2.7.6.3 was released on 21 August.

But it seems to make IronPython Interactive hang in Visual Studio 2013.5 Professional (with PTVS 2.2.2 PTVS 2.2.31124.00-12.0) or in Visual Studio 2015.3 Community (with PTVS 2.2.3).

To test or enjoy this, launch Visual Studio, then open IronPython 64-bit Interactive, and try typing an expression like

a = [1, 2, (3,)]

I can only get as far as the left round bracket, then Visual Studio hangs, every time. Can't even quit.

Same with fresh install of IronPython 2.7.6.3 and Visual Studio, or with an upgrade of IronPython 2.7.6.3 over 2.7.5 and existing Visual Studio. I get the same result on two different machines.

With IronPython 2.7.5 the problem does not occur. If IronPython 2.7.6.3 is removed and 2.7.5 reinstalled, the problem goes away. (Then if 2.7.5 is removed and 2.7.6.3 is reinstalled, it comes straight back.)

I haven't reported this yet, but maybe it's good to stick with 2.7.5.

tjhb
8,089 post(s)
#05-Sep-16 10:16

The version numbers for Python Tools for Visual Studio above were not exact.

The versions involved are, for Visual Studio 2013.5, PTVS 2.2.2 (2.2.31124.0.00-12.0), and for Visual Studio 2015.3, PTVS 2.2.4 (2.2.40623.00-14.0).

tjhb
8,089 post(s)
#05-Sep-16 12:49

PTVS for VS2015 has since been updated to 2.2.5 (2.2.40825.00-14.0). I hadn't noticed though neither had Visual Studio (it still hasn't).

It seems very stable with 2.7.6.3.

tjhb
8,089 post(s)
#05-Sep-16 10:45

I tried a fresh download.

The release of IronPython 2.7.6.3 dated 20 August has been silently replaced by a different release dated 21 August. Same version number, but all files have different sizes and dates.

The later version seems more stable under Visual Studio/PTVS. No permanent hang.

I bet they were glad no one noticed.

tjhb
8,089 post(s)
#07-Sep-16 00:30

To summarize, in case of confusion caused by this thread.

IronPython 2.7.6.3 dated 20160821, Visual Studio 2015.3, and Python Tools for Visual Studio 2.2.5, are all very stable together.

(IronPython 2.7.6.3 dated 20160820, which is no longer available, may have had issues. If you downloaded that, replace it, then maybe re-run ngen executeQueuedItems.)

IronPython 2.7.6.3 is also very stable with Manifold 8.0.29 (and current beta), just as 2.7.5 was.

Installation for Manifold remains the same (mutatis mutandis).

lionel

456 post(s)
#07-Apr-17 00:25

Hi

It is ok for manifold 8 but not for radian 9 :

1 ) when we create a script ( contextual menu right click ) select the language ironpython there is no check box wit the label " Add reference for stander .NET modules "

2) We can't link to the dll since in radian menu there is no context that make Script menu appear so menu label call " Script -> Reference " don't exist

3)What is strange is that when create a ironpython script inside radian ; the default content of the script alert us about the need of the dll !!!.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

# IronPython

#

# Note: running script requires IronPython (IronPython.dll)

def Main():

Manifold.Application.Log("Hello, World!")

Manifold.Application.OpenLog()

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

4) View -> New Command ... -> ironpython like ironpython script don't work .

the message is the same " Can't create script engine "

5) There is no information in the documentation to how to install relative ironpython dll for radian !!

the documentation about radian script are locate at http://manifold.net/doc/radian/scripts.htm

Regard's

join image "Because my dad promised me" interstellar from Manifold: Time by Stephen Baxter. power Math destruction

tjhb
8,089 post(s)
#07-Apr-17 01:45

5) There is no information in the documentation to how to install relative ironpython dll for radian !!

Yes, it's not there yet.

There's also an error in the current online manual:

Languages

Two additional languages, IronPython and IronRuby, are automatically installed when installing Radian from a portable installation, that is, from a Radian .zip installation file.

Portable installations don't include IronPython or IronRuby, so they have to be added manually there too.

To add IronPython to Radian Studio:

• Install IronPython from .msi (current release is 2.7.7; if interested in testing development build 3.x, you need to build it from source)
  • In Windows File Explorer, navigate to the installed location, normally C:\Program Files (x86)\IronPython 2.7 on 64-bit Windows
  • Open the Platforms subfolder, and Copy the further subfolder named Net45 to the Clipboard
  • Navigate to the Radian Studio installation folder (or portable executable folder)
  • Open the shared subfolder
  • Paste the Net45 folder from the Clipboard (if the target folder is in the Program Files tree, this will normally require administrative permissions)
  • Relaunch Radian Studio

Alternative:

• Install IronPython as above
  • Note the path to the installed location, e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\IronPython 2.7
  • Note the path to the Radian Studio folder (installed or portable)
  • Open an administrative command prompt
  • Enter a command similar to

mklink /j "C:\Program Files\Manifold\v9.0\shared\IronPython27" "C:\Program Files (x86)\IronPython 2.7\Platforms\Net45"

This command creates an NTFS hard link (directory junction) for the IronPython assembly folder, without making a separate copy. If you update the IronPython installation, Radian will see the updated version.

(Adjust the command for local paths as necessary. The name "IronPython27" can be anything you want.)

adamw

7,968 post(s)
#07-Apr-17 07:43

You are right, we will fix the note on the default portable installation (IronPython / IronRuby have to be installed manually). We will also add instructions on how to install them, etc.

Somewhat off-topic:

By the way, we were looking at maybe supporting Python more closely (more examples in Python, taking Python into account when designing new objects / functions so that they look natural in Python, maybe even map some of the objects to the built-in Python types, etc).

One of the things we were considering is embedding the traditional Python (from python.org, written in C/C++) so that you don't have to install anything. We won't be doing that for now for two reasons:

First, embedding the interpreter is half the story. Python lives on libraries, it is expected that the installation of Python will have a lot of libraries as well. So, if we are going to embed it, we have to determine which libraries to install, there are many needed, they have dependencies and updates, and this quickly becomes complex. The entire architecture goes towards having Python as an entity of its own living on the machine, installed and maintained on its own, outside of other applications.

Second, worse, the current traditional implementation of Python is not thread-friendly. There is a global lock (!) that you have to take when you are doing something near Python code.

Both these things made us really appreciate IronPython. The built-in libraries are .NET and there are no threading issues. :-)

lionel

456 post(s)
#17-Dec-17 21:32

Hi

what is the step for ironpython and manifold feature since feature is bundle as a zip file !!!

Regard's

join image "Because my dad promised me" interstellar from Manifold: Time by Stephen Baxter. power Math destruction

adamw

7,968 post(s)
#20-Dec-17 08:31

Same as in Tim's post above: copy a folder from IronPython (Platform\Net45) into ~\shared for the portable install of Radian, or make a hard link to it, or create a path.

lionel

456 post(s)
#31-Dec-17 19:58

ironruby appear exist in build 9.0.163.17 5 29 december 2017) !!!

does when using a language the name script should end with a extension makesense ?

ask this because i was thinking choosen ironpyhton but no i discover i choose ironruby !!

Regard's

adamw

7,968 post(s)
#02-Jan-18 07:19

I am not sure I completely understand.

We continue to support IronRuby, yes.

File extensions in script files matter when you are linking or importing them using the All Files filter, or when you are using script files as add-ins. The name of the entry point in a script does depend on the script language (eg, Main for IronPython, Script.Main for C#), but it does not include the name of the language.

lionel

456 post(s)
#10-May-18 23:09

sorry for late reply ......

manifold tab pane of name "project " is for me an extension of microsoft file system so file for script should have the same extension that have been use on microsoft . Create a python script should create an extension with .py for ironpython it should be *.ipy .

regard's

adamw

7,968 post(s)
#11-May-18 16:32

We will take a look into .IPY vs .PY. Is the .IPY extension used often?

lionel

456 post(s)
#10-May-18 22:49

it is about M9 future install in a specific directory under user directory

1) is it really worth installing the latest version of iron python ? best is to have a good free IDE to code against manifold dll with completion / helper ./widget designer /debugger ...!

2) Is there a way to have completion on manifold libraries when use microsoft visual studio Community 2015 14.0.25431.01 update 3 ? Does manifold team need to create a plug in /Extension for visual studio to support manifold libraries by default ? the defualt version that visualstudio manage by default seem 8.0

regard's

Attachments:
ironpython_manifoldfuture_visualStudio2015.png
visualstudio_manifold_version.png

lionel

456 post(s)
#10-May-18 23:03

All is ok after set the right reference ( project -> add reference ) but completion show ( make appear ) only the return value ,function name and argument no documention under this like microsoft Append function above !!

IS there a way to activate show doc attach to function ?

With that i ll never have to code in manifold but don't know if visualstudio can be aware of map/mxb content ?

Attachments:
manifold_visualstudio_completion.png

adamw

7,968 post(s)
#11-May-18 16:34

I see you corrected the error in the later messages, but for others reading - the 8.0.30.0 type library is from Manifold 8, not 9.

lionel

456 post(s)
#10-May-18 23:11

Visualstudio support python and ironpython and R ..... and SQL plugin !

Attachments:
visualstudio2015_python27.png

lionel

456 post(s)
#10-May-18 23:32

1) is it really worth installing the latest version of NET above 4.0 ? ( VS 2015 use Ironpython with .NET 4.0 !! because if change something , Does some relation beetween all differents version binaries ( application /dll ) could be break ? ( visual studio , pvts , iron python , python , manifold ) .

2) here a test using a = [1, 2, (3,)]

Attachments:
VisualStudio2015_list-structure.png

adamw

7,968 post(s)
#11-May-18 16:37

Regarding whether it's OK to use VS 2015 - yes, you can use VS 2015, if you want to. You don't have to upgrade to VS 2017. Any version of VS that supports .NET 4+ works - even lower than VS 2015.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2017 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.