Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Substitute for Terraserver
orerockon

392 post(s)
#22-Feb-17 01:11

I hadn't used Terraserver maps...well since it could be done. Now that it's dead, is there a quick and dirty way to get any sat imagery at all into MFD in georegistered format? In other words without capturing a screenshot and having to georegister it. Nothing fancy, just similar to Google/Bing maps/Google Earth. And free.

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#22-Feb-17 07:15

Manifold 8 or Radian?

If we are talking about Radian, then it supports plenty of image servers right out of the box (no need for any extra modules), many of them are free and if you have an API key for any of the services, you can supply it - many services provide free keys with fairly big quotas.

If we are talking about Manifold 8, you can use the image servers from the AllServersPack.zip on the Product Downloads page.

All of the above is going to be georegistered.

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#22-Feb-17 08:31

Here's a quick tour in Radian: Example: Spectacular Images and Data from Web Servers

All are georegistered. See the various topics on how to use them, such as the tour, etc.

orerockon

392 post(s)
#22-Feb-17 20:33

Forgive me for being dense here but is there a way to generate an image from Virtual Earth without relinking? I would like to generate an image for the current view (which I did), keep that, generate an image for another view, save that, etc. I know to duplicate the VE component to save the current image but the only way I can figure out how to generate a new image for a different view is to relink, go through the whole process again and generate another one. In other words something like the refresh button without having to relink and generate another view for the current window and duplicate that. Wish I could create a gofundme to get a supercomputer that could display a couple hundred square miles and not have the PC grind to a halt lol.

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#23-Feb-17 06:21

is there a way to generate an image from Virtual Earth

Are you working in Radian or 8? What size image do you want? Is it for use onscreen or for printing the size of a highway sign?

8:

If you have not yet used it, see the Tools - Make Image command. Otherwise...

Link the VE imageserver using Global extents. Open in a window and pan and zoom to the view of interest. Save the view in the Views pane for future reference. Link another VE imageserver session using the Window extent. Unlink that to make the desired image. Back in the first VE imageserver window pan and zoom to the next view of interest. Save that view as well. Link another VE imageserver session using the Window extent. Unlink that. And so on.

Radian:

You can have multiple windows open into the same data source simultaneously and pan and zoom all of those independently. There's no "make a local image for these extents" button so you'll have to program what you want as a image (Radian is a DBMS/programming tool, not a GIS...), but if you want something for display on screen that's easy:

Alt-click the window caption to undock the window, resize to the size you want (across multiple monitors if you like) and then press Alt-PrtScn to capture onto the Clipboard. Then Paste wherever you want.

Wish I could create a gofundme to get a supercomputer that could display a couple hundred square miles and not have the PC grind to a halt lol.

Use Radian. No need to wish for a supercomputer when effective use of what you already have does the job.

I routinely use 30+ GB and 50+ GB images in Radian on a 32-bit Windows tablet. Below are screenshots of a 36 GB image that shows the region around Boston in 13 cm resolution, easily a couple of hundred square miles. These are reduced .jpg resolution so they will fit within allowed uploads to the forum but they give an idea of what the original 36 GB image is like. The original resolution seen in these images is throughout the entire image. You can zoom into anywhere in hundreds of square miles and count every person in view on a sidewalk and every car.

I have no idea what various browsers will do with these full-size images but what the heck... let's see:

All of Boston

Zoomed in to the tourist area around Faneuil Hall, basically a large food court.

Zoomed in to a western suburb, Newton, I think.

Attachments:
boston1.jpg
boston2.jpg
boston3.jpg

orerockon

392 post(s)
#23-Feb-17 22:12

Awesome! Guess I'll just wait for rel 9.

tjhb
10,094 post(s)
#23-Feb-17 22:33

Don't misunderestimate (Dubya, all is forgiven) the benefit of learning to handle Radian at your own pace in advance of 9. It's amazing technology, and while UI design and ease of use have received massive attention (very successfully), some of the concepts involved do need a bit of learning.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.