Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Unknown error / Critical failure when using project pane filter
rk
621 post(s)
#15-Jun-17 13:03

I

• Launch Radian 9.0.161.2
  • Import bunch of shpfiles.
  • Create a new empty Map
  • Filter project view by Drawings
  • Select (Shift+Click) all drawings
  • Change project view to Sort by Type
  • Change filter to Maps
I (semi) reliably get Critical failure / Unknown error

Sometimes I must try these moves several times to get error. Video I recorded with Win+G Game Mode does not show dialogs. In the end there seems to be nameless component selected. Screenshot of final state also attached. First time tried I got Unknown error, later Critical failure.

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Version: 10.0.15063 Build 15063

Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1660 v3

Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 32.0 GB

Adapter Description: NVIDIA Quadro K2200

Driver Version: 10.18.13.5413

Attachments:
rdn_critical_failure.mp4
rdn_critical_failure.png

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#15-Jun-17 14:05

Thanks. I haven't been able to reproduce it in the first few tries, but we'll keep trying.

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#15-Jun-17 14:50

That's a heck of a weird bug. Using a project with 400+ drawings in it I just duplicated it.

On the plus side, if you have the endless patience to click OK to close the many error dialogs that pop up (apparently, one for each of the drawings that's being filtered out of being shown in the project pane), Radian is still alive and functioning fine. It even shows a filtered list just showing maps at the end.

I tried with smaller projects (few components) and couldn't duplicate it, so then I tried with a project that had 400+ drawings, figuring that should do the trick. It did. It's not anything to do with shapefiles as that project was originally a Release 8 .map that had imported many AutoCAD files. It just has to do how the filtering logic deals with display of items in the Project pane.

Under certain combinations when the system tries to filter out a specified item from display it runs into a bug and pops open a dialog to let you know. Close the dialog and it goes on to the next item. If it hits the same problem with that, it pops open an error dialog again. If you have a lot of drawings that are not supposed to be seen that ends up being a lot of error dialogs to click closed.

If you have the patience to close all the dialogs, at the end the display does what it is supposed to do, showing only the maps, and the system keeps on going OK. I wanted to see what happened if I stuck it out to the bitter end to close all the dialogs that popped up so I didn't just kill the process. If there is a next time (unlikely) I'll just kill the process.

I don't see much point in trial and error to determine what the number of components in a project between a dozen or 400 will trigger this bug as no doubt engineering will eliminate it immediately.

Thanks for the report!

rk
621 post(s)
#15-Jun-17 15:35

On the plus side, if you have the endless patience to click OK to close the many error dialogs that pop up

Two alerts pop up. Closing the top one does not help much, new one pops up immediately. I spent many minutes closing hundreds of those. Closing the bottom one (and then others) makes some progress until project pane (and whole GUI) becomes clickable again while one alert is still visible. After clicking around I could close that alert one last time.

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#15-Jun-17 16:20

I didn't spend a lot of time on this since engineering will nuke it instantly, but from what I guessed during my click marathon, the back alert spawns the front alert first (most of the time) so you have to close the back one and then the front one. What I did was to bring the back one to the front and moved it over the front one so a double-click of the mouse closed the front one and then immediately the back one.

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#15-Jun-17 14:55

One more thing... good thing you found and reported this bug today. There is a new Cutting Edge build that was being assembled for publication today so they'll hold that until tomorrow to fix this bug. :-) It's a big build.

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#28-Jun-17 08:18

We released the fix in 9.0.162.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.