Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Radian-Manifold Workflow
dchall8
1,008 post(s)
#14-Jul-17 16:26

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger and buy Radian. I have to wait for the money to come available in the office (2 weeks). When it happens what can I expect for a workflow? Currently I obviously work in Manifold. When I have Radian and that program takes over my .map files, what is the process to edit the maps? It sounds like files are opened in Radian, but the fine tune editing is still done in Manifold. Do I understand that right, and how does that work?

artlembo

3,400 post(s)
#14-Jul-17 22:37

just remember, Radian is not a GIS. It is a spatial engineering tool. So, your experience will be a little bit different for now.

Also, with Radian Viewer, you can pretty much do everything you need in terms of experimentation. So, your low-cost test would be to download the Viewer and give things a try. As for low-cost, Manifold is running a discount on Radian ($245), and they have the gisadvisor.com Radian training class for a discount as well (even lower than what gisadvisor.com advertises it for).

dchall8
1,008 post(s)
#17-Jul-17 16:09

Cost was never an object. The main reason I was prevented from getting Radian before now is our office calendar. We entered a critical period in our calendar just as Radian Studio was released. Once we get into that time frame we are not allowed to make software changes until we exit that calendar period. We exited that calendar season last week, so now it's a matter of sorting out the budget again to cover the rest of the year. As it turns out it was a good thing I did not get Radian Studio back then, because I would have opened my Manifold 8 .map file in Radian Studio thereby changing it from a Manifold file to a Radian file.

I have Manifold Viewer. When I open a .map file with that, it seems to disassemble all my Manifold project folders, labels, etc. and alphabetizes everything. It goes from organized to disorganized. This is exactly the reason why we are not allowed to experiment or change software from Feb through July. When I open a .map file in Radian Studio will it alphabetize the files? Can they be reorganized? Can the labels be reattached to the drawings from which they came?

Since Radian Studio is not a GIS, then the only reason I see for using it is to open our 2TB of lidar files. That feature alone still makes RS worth the price, but I don't want to mistakenly open a .map file that I'm working on. I was hoping RS would improve the launch speed of files in Manifold. Currently my files can take 20 to 30 minutes to save and open. It sounds like Radian Studio can reopen a file quickly once it opens it, but if that file cannot be opened quickly in Manifold, then I won't get the benefit of fast opening. Do I understand that correctly?

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#18-Jul-17 06:37

I would have opened my Manifold 8 .map file in Radian Studio thereby changing it from a Manifold file to a Radian file.

The format of the MAP file only changes when you save it, and when you do this to a MAP file created in Manifold 8 the system suggests that you save to a different name (pops the Save As dialog).

When I open a .map file in Radian Studio will it alphabetize the files? Can they be reorganized? Can the labels be reattached to the drawings from which they came?

The labels are still attached to the drawings from which they came, they just don't appear under them (multiple reasons why, the main ones being is that the who is a parent of who is reversed - in Manifold 8, a drawing had its own table, in Radian, a table can have multiple drawings attached, including to the same geometry field, this allows you to do things you couldn't do before).

When reading Manifold 8 MAP files, Radian does not currently preserve folders. We will try to preserve them.

lionel

995 post(s)
#15-Jul-17 19:28

take care . back up data outside the map file (export to OS file system ) and create 2 map file project with v8 ( project1-v8.map) and V9 ( project1-v9.map) since the content inside map are not the same if save by V8 or V9 software ! V8 can't open V9 but V9 can't open V8 and if you save V8 open map using V9 software the map content ll be cast to a V9 project and you ll not be able to open this file with V8. V9 is SQL : wizard , GPU , new script language , custom SQL function !!.

perhaps all data ( text raster gis-vector ) should be outside manifold ( V8 V9) and access inside map using link ( not import) ...so map file ll that contain only code ( script SQL) !!

Book about Science , cosmological model , Interstellar travels

Boyle surface fr ,en

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#16-Jul-17 07:42

V8 can't open V9 but V9 can't open V8 ...

This should perhaps be "V8 can't open V9 but V9 can open V8" (because it can).

Good point regarding one option to use Manifold 8 and Radian together being to keep shared data in, say, a database. There are also other options - import / export, connecting from Manifold 8 to Radian and vice versa via ODBC, etc.

lionel

995 post(s)
#16-Jul-17 23:51

Yes sorry for mistake . thank's for odbc trick because test map component without success !! i test now postgresql for data storage instead manifold ( v8 and v9) !!!

Book about Science , cosmological model , Interstellar travels

Boyle surface fr ,en

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.