/ All posts
- Priority of Multidimensional RS Functions
It seems it's too early to start testing the DWG/DXF importer let alone datasource links.
Why? All the DXFs I've tried to import or link as a data source come in fine.
Tell us more about what you are doing. Can you post a sample of your data, what you would like to do and what the workflow is that you are currently using?
The first test show that the DWG importer is restricted to ACAD2000 file format. Newer versions are rejeced as "unknown file format". Same as Mfd8.
I had tested a complex ACAD 2013.DWG with splines and solid fills whose boundaries in part had curved segments ans splines. I've downgraded the file version to ACAD 2000 with AutoCAD MAP 2017 but neither Mfd8 nor Mfd future .163.1 could open it.
This experience lets me start tests systematically with simple objects and small files:
My first test imports lines and blocks made of lines only that have different Z values.
- Mfd8 imports the lines and a Drawing Z with points and a column Z with correct values
- Mfd8 imports blocks exploded into simple lines and points with Z
- Mfd future .163.1 imports lines and blocks exploded into simple lines. OK
SELECT GeomHasZ([Geom]) FROM [0 Table];
results in false for every single object whether all Z-coordinates of a single geom are equal or different.
- Mfd future .163.1 creates an additional Labels component for every layer, which is directed to a column [Text] of the corresponding Table but not aligned along the geom of that record.
- Changing the contents of a [Text] field in the Table manually from NULL to some Text doesn't show the text in the Lables component.
- Mfd future .163.1 creates a datasource without the spatial index that import creates automatically
- geoms in the datasource have no Z-coordinates as well
So far for now.
Here is the file.
BTW there is only one rotated MText object in the file, the one that imports as a point object without rotation. But in this case the text additionally imports and displays as attribute of 10 line objects that are line objects originally. Not to at lines and at different lines on Import and Create Datasource. I have the feeling that Labels import rather erratically.
There are negativ ObjIDs that seem to coincide with the appearance of Lables.
Reproducible Geoms miss Z, at least GeomHasZ() doesn't report them.
Here is another simple ACAD_2000.DWG created with ADAC D3 2017 Map containing splines - one with and one without Z <> 0
Mfd8 imports Z, Mfd future 220.127.116.11 imports them correct in XY but again
GeomHasZ() returns false and GeomCoordXYZ() returns NULL for both.
Same for ACAD_2000.DXF import or link datasource
When I use Transform Set Z() on the splines and on closed splines converted to areas the objects are degraded from spline to one line segment of endpoints or in the case of an area degraded to a center point.
So the problems seem not relateted to the importer but to some basic failure in XYZ handling.
Just an idea...
The ideal solution, as is underway, for Manifold's DWG and DXF importers to digest whatever you have by way of DWG or DXF. However, while underway to that happy future an extremely useful tool is the freeware Teigha converter that can convert various versions of DWG or DXF into other versions.
Download it from https://www.opendesign.com/guestfiles/teigha_file_converter