Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Manifold Future Import Error
joebocop
514 post(s)
#07-Sep-17 23:17

I have a ~3gb tiff that I would like to view in Manifold Future.

It imports/displays correctly in GlobalMapper/QGIS/ArcGIS/MapInfo.

I have attached a screen capture of the log window contents after trying to import.

v9.0.163.2.

Thanks!

Attachments:
tif_import.JPG

tjhb
10,094 post(s)
#08-Sep-17 00:48

It seems that those are private tags used by GDAL. 42112 is GDAL_METADATA, 42113 is GDAL_NODATA.

In the meantime, you could try accessing these files via a GDAL dataport.

There are great instructions on how to set up a GDAL dataport in the Radian manual:

Examples > Interoperability > Example: Connect to an ESRI GDB usng GDAL/OGR

I think you can easily adapt that to link in the TIFF files using GDAL infrastructure.

joebocop
514 post(s)
#08-Sep-17 05:28

That's the ticket, thanks! I should have Googled.

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#08-Sep-17 13:17

In principle there is nothing wrong with letting GDAL deal with GDAL quirks. That's one reason why Manifold has a GDAL dataport. But it seems a shame to have to wait for a 3GB import through GDAL.

I've filed a suggestion that the TIF dataport should digest all TIFs possible and write any unknown tags as metadata into the Properties of the image. The dataport would then read the TIF without using GDAL and anybody who wanted could deal with any private tags however they like.

joebocop
514 post(s)
#08-Sep-17 16:29

That sounds ideal, thank you.

joebocop
514 post(s)
#19-Sep-17 01:43

This "fix" seems to have made it into 163.3 but is not present in 163.4; is that possible?

I was able to import TIFs with unknown fields yesterday, but can no longer (fails with the same error as above) today when using 163.4.

Attached a screen capture.

Attachments:
tif_import_error.PNG

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#21-Sep-17 09:31

We will take a look. This might be a regression from adding more code in the relevant area.

Could you post a smaller test file that behaves like that, just in case? Or upload the original. That would be helpful.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.