Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Selection Functionality in Manifold Future 9.0.163.3
joebocop
276 post(s)
#12-Sep-17 04:43

I am slowly (but happily) moving my v8 workflows over to v9. Such a fast, reliable application, really great.

Here are two things I haven't yet figured out.

First, a feature I use every day in manifold 8 is the "Selection Filter" button when viewing tables with selected records.

I am working with tables containing a million records or so. I select a few records using the ctrl-click-drag technique on the map, and then use the selection dialog to transfer that selection into the underlying table. Thereafter, however, there's no useful way to "see" those records in the table.... is there? I can scroll (or pgdn on the keyboard) for a while and hope to "see" the selected records as they whiz by, but on a large table that workflow hasn't proved efficient.

Second, in manifold 8 I can select features on the map by clicking around and defining an arbitrary polygon. In v9, I have only figured out how to select features within arbitrary rectangles. Short of creating an actual polygon geometry and then doing a spatial query against it, is there is a means of selecting objects on a map based on an arbitrary "shape" I trace interactively with the mouse?

That's a lot of text, thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for the insight.

Dimitri

4,107 post(s)
#12-Sep-17 06:54

"Selection Filter" button

Been discussed in previous threads and noted as coming. Make sure you are using Manifold Future to be the first to know about it.

there's no useful way to "see" those records in the table.... is there?

Sure there is. With Radian we use a query. See the example on Selection Query functions. With a more GIS thing, we'd use a Selection Filter button. Example: we've selected some records in the mfd_meta table that is open in a window. The selection set for that window is 3. We enter this into the command window:

EXECUTE CALL Selection([mfd_meta], 3, TRUE)

... and press the ! button and it creates a table showing just the selected records. If you do this a lot with the same table just toss that text into a query so you can right click it and hit !.

is there is a means of selecting objects on a map based on an arbitrary "shape" I trace interactively with the mouse?

I've checked the Selection topic very carefully and I don't see that.

I think if I wanted it I would send in a Suggestion, maybe designing it as a Ctrl-Alt-right click, click, click to draw the selection polygon. What do you think? How would a better way look?

Keep in mind there is a lot of stuff in 8 that people don't use, so eliminating things like a selection based on drawing an ellipse shape is very helpful in de-cluttering the interface. One of the points of a public process like Future is giving people the opportunity to say what they think is important.

adamw

7,102 post(s)
#12-Sep-17 08:01

EXECUTE CALL Selection([mfd_meta], 3, TRUE)

...and to avoid having to find out what the selection set for a specific window is, we can use:

--SQL9

EXECUTE CALL Selection(mfd_meta, SelectionForWindow('mfd_meta'''), true)

The 'mfd_meta' in the call for SelectionForWindow is just the window title, the string from the tab.

But yes, we are going to have means to restrict display to the selection in the UI.

joebocop
276 post(s)
#12-Sep-17 17:36

Perfect, thank you both.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2017 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.