Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - drive time zone
lionel113 post(s)
#09-Nov-17 23:08

using remote rest/json encoding server ( adress to gps coordinate ) is common nowodays but what about driving zone ?. Is there a way with latest version of radian or manifold to be able to draw a driving time zone on a map using time duration ? I was able to do this with a old mappoint software desktop version in the past and a update mappoint map ( trick wit a simple copy paste ) !!

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa578874.aspx

Thank's

artlembo

2,875 post(s)
#09-Nov-17 23:35

You can do this in manifold 8, using the business tools. But, you will need to have your own network data set. Unfortunately Microsoft no longer makes map point. However, I hear that there is an experimental beta within Bing maps that would allow you to create them.

lionel113 post(s)
#11-Nov-17 14:04

Hi thank's for your reply

Does osm has this kind of data ?

What is the structure of table to manage this kind of query ?

Can mappoint data set can be import into manifold ?

regard's

artlembo

2,875 post(s)
#11-Nov-17 14:38

OSM will likely not have speed limits, nor do I think they are particularly routable.

To manage that kind of data he will need a routable Street network.

Map point, which is discontinued, is a close system. You will not be able to get the roads into another product.

lionel113 post(s)
#11-Nov-17 15:09

if we test the google map GUI we can select

--input ( from ) , outpoint ( to ) using adress or gpx information

--choose the travel mode ( bus walk car ) and mix them

--see time Result ( start end duratino )

So i think it must be possible to wrap all this information like a manifold user do for extract Google Tiles !!

but perhaps API is not available . We can create a grid of point and test all the value associate with point gps arrived/end .

I don't know if a javascript launch at the browser level could control user interaction like selenium or other tool . In a way a browser plugin since they use the same technology that all web page

We can use test tool to extract web information return by google map and use them for update database

I don't know if javascript in radian or studio can acces /control a webbrowser with cookies .....

Regard's

Attachments:
manifold_googleMAp.jpg

lionel113 post(s)
#12-Nov-17 16:47

OSM has since 2016 this functionnalities !!

Perhaps new manifold tool ( manifold feature , radian ) should support this like Qgis !!

https://enricosteiger.wordpress.com/2016/02/10/openrouteservice-now-in-qgis/

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/List_of_OSM-based_services#Routing

https://developers.route360.net/index.html

it seem it is call isochrome in gis term !!

regard's

Dimitri

4,278 post(s)
#13-Nov-17 08:39

Perhaps new manifold tool ( manifold feature , radian ) should support this like Qgis !!

Q doesn't support this natively, nor does Q have any routing capabilities itself even with a plug in. There's a plug in you can integrate in for one of the services, but that simply is using Q as a browser to connect to a web service which actually does the routing.

I make those distinctions for two reasons:

1. Using a web service is different than doing your own routing. If you use a web service the feature only works where Internet works - not so good on a truck crossing Poland on your way from Paris to Vilnius when you are in a dead zone, or for that matter crossing many parts of the Southwest in the US away from interstate highways. Another issue is handing over your personal data and location to third parties: Many people also don't like how supposedly "free" web sites in fact harvest the data you provide for resale to others (Strava being a famous example). If you don't mind becoming the product that is being sold, and passing yet more info about yourself into the data mining advertising/profiling leviathan, sure, such sites are "free."

2. Not everybody wants to play software integrator, even if the effort required is low, at least at first. Whenever it is up to you to install modules from different groups, which themselves in turn are pieced together from yet other groups, it is up to you to choose wisely for the first installation and then you take on the maintenance task of resolving version skew issues as the various players zig and zag. That's not for everybody.

So no, Manifold won't require people to do that. Instead, whatever Manifold does, whether it uses an external service or uses direct contact to OSM, it will all be built in from one source, directly connecting, the way Manifold works with imageservers and other web servers (WMS, WMTS, TMS, WFS, ArcGIS REST, etc., etc....) and very, very many data sources.

My own view is that using external services is something that is not too terrible (let's face it... if you are using Internet you've long ago given up any hope of privacy) so reaching out to things like OSRM or similar is absolutely an OK idea, very analogous to offering a large roster of web servers for imagery and feature data. In fact, while it would be important to offer at least one fully integrated such service I can see that offering a roster of router services would be great so that people can pick and choose which one they prefer.

I suppose at some future point it would make sense to provide direct routing, either routing within the desktop against OSM or other data resident on a server, or against fully local, downloaded data. Most long distance travel is on major roads, which are relatively small networks. You can easily fit an entire continent, even Eurasia, of major highways and major secondary roads into a Radian project.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2017 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.