Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - quickest way to convert surface to a point data set
artlembo

2,875 post(s)
#14-Nov-17 19:41

I have a surface that I want to convert into a point data set so I can calculate the average elevation within certain areas. I have use SQL to GeomMakePoint, but the X,Y values are are the row and column values. How do I get the actual coordinates so that I can generate points?

Also, I don't believe there is a transform yet for doing this, unless I have missed it.

Mike Pelletier

1,396 post(s)
#14-Nov-17 20:52

Art in the attached map file I took an aerial image and converted the dark shadows into an area drawing. If you follow along the SQL, you can see how to generate points instead.

Attachments:
for art.map

tjhb

7,503 post(s)
#15-Nov-17 01:18

Yes, it's important to distinguish tile X and Y indexes from pixel X and Y indexes with a tile.

artlembo

2,875 post(s)
#15-Nov-17 02:05

thanks. Great job making this work in the current environment. In looking over all you've done, I have to say "I'll pass" It should not be that much work to create a point file from a raster. I'll wait until there is a transform or an easier function to convert pixels to points.

Another option is to export the raster to .xyz, and then reimport it.

I am eager to see what kinds of raster tools get built into MF.

tjhb

7,503 post(s)
#15-Nov-17 05:04

Eloquent and correct!

But let’s wait for the next one. If it gives us the capacity to turn old tables into new, then we have literally everything.

Then we can open-source everything we care about.

(The Ardern build. Very proud.)

Mike Pelletier

1,396 post(s)
#15-Nov-17 20:17

That's the spirit Tim and way to go New Zealand!

I thought the raster stuff was going to come with Radian Studio but it appears now it will be in the future GIS version. While I'm hopeful for the raster stuff, the recent cartography push is even more exciting.

Whatever the" turn old tables to new" means, I hope it comes :-)

Dimitri

4,278 post(s)
#15-Nov-17 14:51

I am eager to see what kinds of raster tools get built into MF.

Better still, send in suggestions for the tools that you want. Other people are sending in suggestions so miss the opportunity to influence what appears soonest to suit your tastes and preferences

artlembo

2,875 post(s)
#15-Nov-17 15:22

thanks. Done!

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2017 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.