Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Associate labels to areas and centroïds
chris lang
130 post(s)
#22-Jan-18 19:39

Hi everyone,

I've created areas and inner centroïds very easily following Dimitri's steps in the previous Thread.

Now I also have Text labels, all positioned within areas, that I want to associate to areas and centroïds tables.

Creating a drawing from Text labels gives me lines that intersect or go out of the areas, most of the time.

Having thousands of areas also gives me lot of lines intersecting the same area coming from neighbouring areas.

Is there a better way to assigned texts as a new column of areas or centroïds tables?

Best Regards

Chris

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#23-Jan-18 17:33

Now I also have Text labels, all positioned within areas, that I want to associate to areas and centroïds tables.

I don't understand what you mean by "I want to associate to areas and centroids tables". Could you please discuss that in more detail?

Is there a better way to assigned texts as a new column of areas or centroïds tables?

The text of labels already comes from a column in a table, probably in your case from the table for the centroids drawing. It was inherited from the areas if that's what you used to create the centroids.

I think I see where you are going, but to be sure and not to steer you wrong, I'll hold off until the more detailed description of what you mean by "associate".

chris lang
130 post(s)
#23-Jan-18 19:05

Thank's Dimitri for your Reply.

In fact, texts where not in any table before I imported them in Manifold. They came from a DXF drawing from which I created the areas and centroïds of these areas using Manifold. Texts that where inside the lines visually forming the different areas in the DXF file where imported in Manifold as text label layer. I want to associate the text labels to each area in which they are positioned. I thought I could create a drawing from the text labels, which are represented by lines, but those lines often exceed the area and overlap on neibhouring areas.

I wonder if I can create a drawing of points from the text Labels (representing the insertion XY coordinates of text labels) instead of lines, in order to use a spatial operation to associate text labels as a column in areas or Centroïds tables.

Best Regards,

Chris

tjhb
10,094 post(s)
#23-Jan-18 20:11

Yes. Start by creating centroids of the labelling lines.

Transferring data from line centroids to containing areas is then very easy.

If the imported labels were positioned manually, or by an adaptive algorithm, then the centroids might not always be placed inside their area, and a more sophisticated approach might be necessary. In that case some sample data would be useful.

chris lang
130 post(s)
#24-Jan-18 00:14

Thank you tjhb!

Centroids of labeling lines made the job done!

Best Regards,

Chris

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.