Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - GDB as new data source
tonyw
462 post(s)
#09-Feb-18 00:01

I received LiDAR data in a .gdb file. As a test of opening a .gdb file I downloaded the exampled database Naperville WaterDistributionNetwork from ESRI and I can open that .gdb fine and can see and make a Map of the water system layers.

Turning to the LiDAR data I'm not able to access the data in the .gdb file. After creating New Data Source from the .gdb file, I got a new yellow cylindrical icon with a folder "system data" which in turn had "mfd_meta" and "mfd_root" below.

Thinking the format might be old GDB I downloaded GDAL 2.2.3 from http://www.gisinternals.com/release.php using the 64 bit .DLLs compiled with MSVC 2017. The .dll's came compiled so I copied the whole unzipped folder into a folder C:\Program Files\GDAL and edited the path variable in Environment Variables > System Variables > Path. Creating a new data source using Type: File:gdal, I see a yellow cylindrical icon with either a black asterisk or black lock (depending if I select Read Only) and three what look like tables "mfd_meta" "mfd_meta_source" and _mfd_root". No data layers. See attached screen shot.

Thanks for any tips. The file with the collection of LiDAR data has data, it's 2.7 GB in size.

Attachments:
Importing_gdb.JPG

dyalsjas96 post(s)
#09-Feb-18 01:27

I suspect this is an example of Esri only making part of the .gdb specification public. If I recall correctly, this was either discussed previously on the forum or perhaps there is a note in the Manifold help.

dale

534 post(s)
#09-Feb-18 02:12

There is a discussion on another thread about GDB's and non support of rasters here

Dimitri

5,035 post(s)
#09-Feb-18 06:30

Key question: is it raster data or vector data? If raster, as other posters have noted, ESRI does not support that in their GDB library.

tonyw
462 post(s)
#09-Feb-18 19:20

Re: vector or raster data, a colleague who has ArcGIS could open the GDB and mentioned the folder contained vector products from the LiDAR data, products such as contours, slope, aspect, etc. So it should all be vector data. Another folder in the GDB has .laz files with point elevation data.

Dimitri

5,035 post(s)
#10-Feb-18 05:30

a colleague [...] mentioned the folder contained vector products from the LiDAR data, products such as contours, slope, aspect, etc.

Ah, but do you know for sure by examining the GDB yourself with Arc whether it is raster or vector data?

It's interesting to see the data is not LiDAR data but products derived from LiDAR data. The "derived" bit is important because that tells us it may be very different from the original, a raster, perhaps.

The second clue is that the colleague has described the data using words, slope and aspect, that more often than not apply to raster data, not vector data.

So it should all be vector data.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

When debugging such situations you can't go on hearsay. You have to check for yourself, to know for sure what is in the GDB. That saves time and effort.

Another folder in the GDB has .laz files with point elevation data.

.laz is not GDB. It is a different format. There are are plenty of opportunities for confusion when people mix up the Rube Goldberg folder structure of GDB with other files that are not part of the GDB. Maybe that's going on here, maybe not.

tonyw
462 post(s)
#10-Feb-18 08:10

when people mix up the Rube Goldberg folder structure of GDB with other files that are not part of the GDB

I was confused as to what was a .gdb geodatabase. I went back to the LiDAR supplier's FTP site and in fact they had setup 3 separate folders for me, one a GDB, a second with flight transect lines, and a third with point elevation data with .laz files. So to clear things up the .laz files were not part of the GDB database.

I can probably generate contour lines from the .laz files, open in M9 and resave for use in M8 with the Surfaces extension. Someone correct me, M9 doesn't have capabilities yet similar to the Surface extension in M8, right?

Dimitri

5,035 post(s)
#10-Feb-18 13:28

doesn't have capabilities yet similar to the Surface extension in M8, right?

Depends what you mean by "capabilities. " If you mean innate capabilities that functions and SQL expose, sure, I think 9 can do more than 8 (way better than the surface transform pane in 8, for example), but if you mean point-and-click pre-built dialogs like what is in some of the Surface Tools which you don't need to know SQL to use, no. So, for now, no canned watersheds/viewsheds, etc. All that's coming.

tonyw
462 post(s)
#10-Feb-18 17:14

I think 9 can do more than 8 (way better than the surface transform pane in 8, for example)

This sounds promising, I'll start a new thread.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2017 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.