Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - move label
lionel

995 post(s)
#04-Mar-18 15:40

Hi

in mfd9

1) is there a way to move a selected label ( text inside bounding box) using mouse ?

2) does the label location by default is base on the active geom column in drawing ( =table with no projection ?

thank's

Attachments:
label_new.png

Book about Science , cosmological model , Interstellar travels

Boyle surface fr ,en

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#04-Mar-18 18:57

1) is there a way to move a selected label ( text inside bounding box) using mouse ?

Yes. See the Labels topic.

2) does the label location by default is base on the active geom column in drawing ( =table with no projection ?

Yes, the label location is based on whatever geom is used for the drawing on which the label is based, but No, that does not mean there is no projection. See the Labelstopic and also the Drawings topic to learn where the projection is stored in properties.

lionel

995 post(s)
#05-Mar-18 16:28

I was a little tired so i post here even i know that the best ll be to read the Fine manual ....

Some time I really want to watch vidéo rather than read text .....

thank's

Boyle surface fr ,en

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#05-Mar-18 19:11

I think there's a video that covers moving labels as well.

KlausDE

6,410 post(s)
#05-Mar-18 20:35

[sorry, found a solution for my problem]

Do you really want to ruin economy only to save the planet?

lionel

995 post(s)
#05-Mar-18 21:32

yes as always all informations is in the documentation ....

It is possible to add a rectangle around each label ( different in width and height) using centroid of label and bounding box of text text outside limit ?

In a way i want to use Manifold to draw a rectangle around each group of text ! and in the same time be able to set the style of the rectangle ( black width ) .

which way to do this : Script or SQL ?

i always want to do this in illustrator or photoshop but find not easy to use adobe javascript editor and read the API .

Attachments:
boundingbox_Label.png

Boyle surface fr ,en

lionel

995 post(s)
#05-Mar-18 21:58

the new geom ll be store in the same table inside a geometry column of name geom_columnName_label_bbox.

a drawing ll then be create to use this geom_columnName_label_bbox that could be style ...

regard's

Boyle surface fr ,en

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#06-Mar-18 05:27

It is possible to add a rectangle around each label ( different in width and height) using centroid of label and bounding box of text text outside limit ?

Given this...

but find not easy to use adobe javascript editor and read the API

I read the above (this intended as gently tongue-in-cheek) to be translated as "I don't like reading the API doc... could somebody who does write this for me?" :-)

Setting weak humor aside, the answer to your first question is, of course, in the documentation. Based on your careful reading of the labels topic do you think that is a built-in feature? How close to what you want can you get using existing styles?

You ask about programming. I guess that means your first question was a rhetorical question that meant "OK, I read all this carefully and I believe what I want is not a built-in feature... how would I go about adding it myself?"

If that is the intended question, the answer, of course, is that you can do almost anything with scripting given enough skill and time. Like any API for a complex application, skill can be gained from detailed reading of the API doc and much experimentation. That can be a very worthwhile activity because even if you decide that coding something which is exactly what you want is too big a project for right now, the process of investigation and learning will pay dividends.

My advice is that rather than consider how to program this yourself, you consider very carefully what can be done using existing styles and, if those don't work for you, write up what you want as a suggestion for a new feature and send that in. Given all the development going on with labels and styles and such, if you have a great idea, why not first see if you can get Manifold to do the work for you, for free?

lionel

995 post(s)
#06-Mar-18 21:33

The label topic is GUI doc not API doc even should be read before read any API related !! . At http://www.manifold.net/doc/api/scripts-net.html . if i search in chrome browser for the word " label " in the api doc ( one page ) it return no value/nothing . so can i claim there is no API to manage label ? !!

i ll send suggestion but suggestion ll be implemented if your team find the suggestion great not because i think my suggestion is great !! but i think you are very busy with manifold 9 on gis part not style/ infographic ....

Boyle surface fr ,en

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#07-Mar-18 11:03

You can do this using a script (you have to measure the dimensions of the text and you need to call functions related to painting to do that), but the result would make sense only for a specific scale.

Why do you want to create boxes around label text? If you want to create them to achieve some visual effect, styles would work much better (so, lobby for more styles / custom styles and specify which visual effect you are after).

lionel

995 post(s)
#18-Mar-18 18:45

yes i want that for style like word style where can configure the fill the border and text content .

I send a suggestion ...

On mfd 9 howto manage specific scale for say A4 international paper size print ?

Does documentation already cover that ?

regard's

Attachments:
move_label.png

Boyle surface fr ,en

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#23-Mar-18 07:46

On mfd 9 howto manage specific scale for say A4 international paper size print ?

The font sizes and the sizes of vector objects are device-independent. They are expressed in points (1/72 of an inch). Rendering or printing scales the shapes to the resolution of the display or printer automatically. So, there are no tricks, you just say how big you want things to be and they try to stay that size on every device.

(Maybe I misunderstood the question.)

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.