Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Manifold Viewer. Data source deleted but actualy still in Map
geozap73 post(s)
#11-Mar-18 07:42

In Manifold Viewer 9.0.165.3 portable instalation on Windows 7 64bit I create a New Data source (in the example I created a Bing Map Hybrid, but the same happens with other web server:imageserver data sources too). Then I create an new Drawing and put the Drawing and the Bing Map on a Map. Then I delete the Bing Map data source from the project. But the data source is not really deleted from the Map, even thought it is not in the project pane. You can even zoom on the map and get a more detailed image from the "deleted" data source.

Attachments:
screenshot0.jpg

lionel

455 post(s)
#11-Mar-18 10:37

manifold don't test when delete component if this component is use inside map . You have to do it manually . I think some check when create and delete item in project ll occur with time. this make me think of memory and pointer . You delete the value but a variable still exist and know the location of the value .....

In my last post i try to know understand the behaviour of zoom to fit so i open all the layers locate inside a map and for one item nothing occur . Logic the component was deleted !!! ( but still accessible inside map component not alone component to test by yourself !! )

my last post are

http://www.georeference.org/forum/t142298.3

regard's

join image "Because my dad promised me" interstellar from Manifold: Time by Stephen Baxter. power Math destruction

geozap73 post(s)
#12-Mar-18 15:30

This behaviour is a bug, isn't it?

KlausDE

6,181 post(s)
#12-Mar-18 16:06

Let's say a field for improvement in the process of development. They have heard us but the priority is low, istn't it?

Dimitri

4,882 post(s)
#12-Mar-18 18:52

Also, the effect can be oddly useful sometimes.

The layers in a map are properties of the map, and it can be useful for the map to remember what layers are in it even if you remove one of those. Why? Because when you add that layer back in, say, by copying and pasting from a different session the layer magically appears exactly in the stack as it should.

The use scenario for that is where you discover you have an old version of something participating in a project, so you delete it right away. Next, you open the correct, new version of that in another session, perhaps where it participates in a different, newer project, and you copy/paste into the project from which it has been deleted.

Because maps "remember" their layer structure all the maps that used the obsolete version that you deleted will still have that layer and the new version will appear in place. If you had 100 maps in the project that's a big deal and a lot of saved effort.

The effect can also be useful when shuffling around different Styles. Suppose you have a table with two or three geoms in it and several dozen different drawings made from those geoms using different Styles (what used to be called Themes). It's often the case that you might change your mind about which of those you want to appear in maps, so as you delete/rename them in various combinations it's very convenient to have maps remember what layers they should be in.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2017 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.