Subscribe to this thread
Home - Cutting Edge / All posts - Manifold System 9.0.167.2
adamw

10,447 post(s)
#25-May-18 16:08

We have been laying the groundwork for new analytic facilities. We shall see the products of these efforts soon. In the meantime, we have been adding various features to the UI.

(The 9.0.167.1 build was an internal one. Apologies for jumping the version.)

manifold-9.0.167.2-x64.zip

SHA256: b2f29960d8de68de8a27784eadf0e4e2e380cdc144d421bde008567de79132e8

manifold-viewer-9.0.167.2-x64.zip

SHA256: 0f96a5891adc0bb3970b93fa9f652f69d1e33c843401d07f9a62a71f9aabef99

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#25-May-18 16:08

Changes

The Transform Options dialog that edits transfer rules for a transform uses a grid. Changing transfer rules is done within the grid without extra controls at the bottom.

Transfer rules like 'average' or 'count' require numeric fields. Transfer rules for binary fields are limited to 'copy'. Names of transfer rules are localized.

There are new transfer rules for boolean fields: 'boolean and', 'boolean or', 'boolean xor'.

There are new transfer rules for numeric integer fields: 'bit and', 'bit or', 'bit xor'.

There are new transfer rules for text fields: 'join tokens'. Tokens are separated by a comma. (For a different separator, use Edit Query.)

There are new transfer fules for geometry fields: 'center', 'convex hull', 'merge areas', 'merge lines', 'merge points', 'union areas', 'union rects'.

The New Map dialog displays potential layers using a grid. Layers from child data sources display full path to the data source (instead of displaying the component name and the data source icon). If the dialog is started without any potential layers, the grid is hidden.

Starting the New Map dialog by right-clicking an existing map populates the list of layers from the map, preserving Z order.

The New Map dialog sets the initial coordinate system to that of the context map, if started on an existing map, or to that of the context layer, if started on a single potential layer. Right-clicking a layer in the list of potential layers allows choosing 'Use Coordinate System' to set the coordinate system of the new map to that of the layer.

The map window reports the current location in a specialized pane in the status bar. Right-clicking the pane allows switching report format. Available report formats are: 'Latitude / longitude' (the default), 'Latitude / longitude (deg-min)', 'Latitude / longitude (deg-min-sec)', 'Pixels / stored' (reports pixel coordinates for an image and unmodified coordinate values exactly as they are stored for a drawing), 'Projected' (reports coordinates in the units used by the coordinate system, applying local scales and offsets). The report format persists between sessions. Previous controls for the status bar in the Options dialog are removed.

Reporting the current location in a map behaves much smoother (the reaction to cursor movement is immediate).

Right-clicking the prompt area in the status bar allows turning individual status bar panes on and off. The set up of the status bar persists between sessions.

The table window displays tooltips for long or multiline values.

The table window displays tooltips for field headers, listing the name and type of a field and the expression for a computed field.

Grids in all panes and dialogs (Layers pane, Record pane, Properties dialog, favorites dialogs, etc) display tooltips for long or multiline values.

Typing the first few letters of a component name in the Project pane selects the component.

Typing the first few letters of an item in a query builder list selects it. In the list of tables, the initial '[' can be omitted (typing 'pro' will successfully select '[Provinces]').

The map window supports the tracker tool. The tracker reports total length of the specified line and bearing of the last line segment, both measured over the ellipsoid (computed using Vincenty's formulae). The tracker supports branches, switching insert mode on and off, snaps.

(Fix) The ODBC driver no longer sometimes fails to return text values to newer versions of Access.

End of list.

Mike Pelletier

2,122 post(s)
#25-May-18 16:59

Nice to see some new features Adam. Couple of thoughts. It would be nice if the tooltips for long values allowed editting/copy/paste rather than having to go back into the cell and scroll around. Also, the tracker tool should be able to display area as well as user defined display measurements options like feet/miles/meter/kilometer at same time. This might get long but often more useful than a measurement with lot of digits after the decimal point. Also, it would be really awesome to click on 2 points of a line (ie, road, stream, etc.) and it displays the length along the line. Perhaps use a keystroke with tracker tool, click on a line and the line lights up, click 2nd point on line and the distance is displayed.

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#28-May-18 08:30

Thanks for the notes.

Regarding this:

It would be nice if the tooltips for long values allowed editting/copy/paste rather than having to go back into the cell and scroll around.

You only see a tooltip for a long value when the cursor is already over it, so invoking copy / paste / edit should be a matter of right-clicking and selecting from the context menu, no mouse movement required. Or did I misunderstand?

Mike Pelletier

2,122 post(s)
#29-May-18 15:59

Thanks Adam. I had forgotten about the right click > edit option and got stuck in the Mfd 8 mode.

artlembo

3,400 post(s)
#26-May-18 00:41

I have attempted to export a Map component (containing many drawings) and an individual drawing component to a ESRI gdb. The export begins writing out the gdb, but then issues an error: invalid spatial reference.

I've gone in and redefined my spatial references to EPSG 2261, but to make sure everything was standardized, but I still get the same problem.

Even though the error exists, it does in fact create all the files in the directory, but the files are just empty.

Can anyone try to export the components in a Map, or an individual drawing component into an ESRI geodatabase and let me know if you have the same problem.

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#26-May-18 06:31

I've gone in and redefined my spatial references to EPSG 2261

Missing a colon character. It should be EPSG:2261.

artlembo

3,400 post(s)
#26-May-18 07:33

I have it correct. I used the dialogue to update it. Sorry for not being more clear above.

I have also tried it with other coordinate systems, and get the same error.

I’m going to try with lat/Lon tomorrow.

ColinD

2,081 post(s)
#26-May-18 23:38

Same here Art Invalid spatial reference and it did create all of the files. I tried opening in ArcMap and got Cannot open specified file. All components and the map were in the same coordinate system.

Aussie Nature Shots

artlembo

3,400 post(s)
#27-May-18 00:58

thanks for the confirmation.

tjhb
10,094 post(s)
#27-May-18 03:31

I think we may have to go absolutely step-by-step here. Something exactly reproducible, starting with a known environment, then from data A to data B.

I don't see the issue at all, neither with 167.0 nor with 167.2.

(But again I will need to give data and exact steps.)

artlembo

3,400 post(s)
#27-May-18 03:42

Great. Are you saying you cannot reproduce this? Have you successfully exported a Map component to a Geodatabase?

tjhb
10,094 post(s)
#27-May-18 04:02

I've only tried a few times, but I can't get it to fail.

Yes, exporting a large-ish Map component (139 vector layers, no raster) to GDB works fine for me.

I can also reimport the GDB to 9, absolutely no problem (except for all those folders!).

To repeat, I have no ESRI components installed at all.

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#28-May-18 08:47

I cannot reproduce this either.

Here is a test MXB. I created a started drawing manually, added a couple of points, set the coordinate system to EPSG:2261, then made several duplicate drawings and put all drawings into a map. Export the map. It exports without errors for me.

(Will check files below.)

Attachments:
export-to-gdb.mxb

tjhb
10,094 post(s)
#27-May-18 03:41

This may be very important: I don't have any ESRI products installed.

What are your ESRI situations Art and Colin?

Perhaps an ESRI bug? If they have any.

ColinD

2,081 post(s)
#27-May-18 05:15

I get the same with the 9.0.167 build. I have ArcGIS Desktop 10.4 installed. The files produced aren't empty looking at sizes (attached screenshot and gdb folder).

Attachments:
M9_167x_gdb.jpg
Offsets_map.gdb.zip

Aussie Nature Shots

ColinD

2,081 post(s)
#27-May-18 05:23

I get the same error trying to export a single vector layer of contour lines.

Aussie Nature Shots

artlembo

3,400 post(s)
#27-May-18 12:26

Same here. I will send a note to tech. Also, I think the files are empty.

Those file sizes you show are small and likely only include the template definitions.

artlembo

3,400 post(s)
#27-May-18 14:11

Tim,

I wonder if I have some .dll that got squashed or something.

Here is a small .mxd project. There are two components: munibounds (in NYS Central), and and blkgrps (in lat/lon). When attempting to export these files I get:

munibounds: invalid spatial reference

blkgrps: invalid function arguments

can you (or anyone else) try to reproduce this?

thanks,

art

Attachments:
gdb_testing.mxb

hugh
200 post(s)
#27-May-18 17:32

got same result & messages here (167.2). Then tried to add the two created GDBs to ArcGIS, instead of opening just showed a table

but then I tried exporting another drawing to GDB and was able to read back in fine.

2018-05-27 12:36:38 -- Import: C:\M9work\data\gdbtest\MunicipalityCoastal_poly.gdb\gdb (0.065 sec)

2018-05-27 12:36:45 Render: [MunicipalityCoastal_poly_Drawing_Table Drawing] (0.049 sec)

Your munibounds imports without error message but no compondent gets added to project pane

2018-05-27 12:37:20 -- Import: C:\M9work\data\gdbtest\munibounds.gdb\gdb (0.030 sec)

Attachments:
agppu_result.jpg

hugh
200 post(s)
#27-May-18 17:56

work here

Attachments:
gdb_test2.mxb

tjhb
10,094 post(s)
#27-May-18 23:28

I get this.

Launch 9.0.167.2

Open gdb_testing.mxb

(1)

Right-click Map, Export...

[Make new folder, open it]

File name: Map

Save as type: GDB Files (gdb) (gdb)

Error: Invalid function arguments

(2)

Right-click drawing munibounds, Export...

File name: munibounds

Error: Invalid spatial reference

(3)

Right-click drawing blkgrp, Export...

File name: blkgrp

Error: Invalid function arguments

Note that exports 1 (map) and 3 (blkgrp) give the same error message.

Also note that '(gdb)' appears twice in the type string, which seems odd.

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#28-May-18 09:05

Also note that '(gdb)' appears twice in the type string, which seems odd.

This is the system file dialog not recognizing that the file mask already appears in the file filter and appending it the second time, perhaps because the mask is an unusual one (does not include '*'). It is a bit annoying but harmless.

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#28-May-18 08:59

Thanks for the file.

My results are the same as those reported by Tim.

We will look into it.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.