Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Quicker table metadata
joebocop
514 post(s)
#24-Jun-18 18:56

A few ideas, which maybe already have excellent solutions.

1. Is there already a CTRL-something keyboard shortcut to toggle Filter - Selected on a table? If not, it would be great to have one, or else a toggle button on the toolbar.
  2. I know I can get the count of records that are selected in a table by querying SELECT count(*) from CALL SELECTION([component], TRUE), but can't this value be visible on the status bar instead?
  3. Similarily, when a query window having returned results has the focus, there's no way to quickly see the count of results returned, is there? Can this be displayed on the status bar, and also the number of those records which are "selected" (seeing as a row returned by a query is not necessarily also "selected")?
  4. When I import a GPX file, it creates some drawing components, great. I drag them into a map and they display correctly, also great. To actually see data associated with a point in any of those drawing components (ALT-Click), or select any of those data on the map, however, I have to first open the table, create an mfd_id field, create a btree index, add that field to the index, click ok. That's too much; I am feeling more and more that index creation needs to be automated on data import. Am I way off here?

I am getting better at using the keyboard shortcuts, and they are addicitive. More please. There's nothing faster than exploiting my otherwise latent non-mouse hand. Great stuff, thank you.

tjhb
10,094 post(s)
#25-Jun-18 00:34

re 2:

...but can't this value be visible on the status bar instead?

No, not for the general case, because the query engine uses a streaming model, and does not know how many records in the whole dataset "are selected"--that is, how many records satisfy the criteria for selection--unless all records have in fact been fetched and tested.

re 3:

there's no way to quickly see the count of results returned, is there? Can this be displayed on the status bar

Same thing: for the general case it can't be. The query engine does not know how many records satisfy the criteria expressed by the query, unless all records have in fact been fetched.

To some extent, switching fullfetch on (q.v.) addresses these concerns.

But what else could be done, to make things more intuitive?

Perhaps, for a partial fetch, the status bar could should the number of records fetched (clearly showing that it is a subset, e.g. by using familiar blue colour for text, plus possibly italics), followed by the number of selected selected within that partial set.

While, if the fetch is complete (either for a small dataset, or if fullfetch is on), the status bar could show the total number of records in black or near-black, followed by the total number of records selected in the full set.

joebocop
514 post(s)
#25-Jun-18 06:40

Thanks tjhb.

Your two suggestions are exactly what I'm after; in cases where not all data have been fetched, the status bar displays the count of returned rows in italic or blue (would match the "preview" styling of spatial features when using the transform or select panes). The count of "selected" records could also be displayed there, in blue.

Perhaps a right-click context menu from there would force a full fetch of the data, and the status bar values would then update, and display in black.

Honestly, that would be perfect. I'll send that in as a suggestion. Thank you.

tjhb
10,094 post(s)
#25-Jun-18 07:01

Nice to be on the same page! Sorry for my typos by the way.

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#25-Jun-18 02:26

That's too much; I am feeling more and more that index creation needs to be automated on data import. Am I way off here?

No, I think you are spot on. Most of the dataports add an mfd_id field and index. Don't know why the GPX dataport doesn't. Seems worth sending in as a suggestion.

joebocop
514 post(s)
#25-Jun-18 06:40

Thank you, I sent it in.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.