Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Assigning projections to and using CAD files
Ian
207 post(s)
#12-Jul-18 05:23

I have been supplied some DXF files from a CAD program. They use Mount Eden 2000 datum. How do I assign a projection or what is the equivalent projection for this? I have tried in M8 and M9. I have never used a CAD program so I'm not sure how they work or their capabilities when it comes to assigning projections. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

tjhb

8,348 post(s)
#12-Jul-18 06:04

See official LINZ specifications here.

Each of the meridional circuits (including Mount Eden 2000) defines an official local projection in terms of datum NZGD2000. They are used for survey purposes.

For use in Manifold, you need to define a custom coordinate system. I have pre-prepared XML files for Manifold 8 (just ask). For Manifold 9, the custom parameters can be entered in the usual dialogs, then the resulting JSON string can easily be saved for re-use.

Happy to help with this.

Ian
207 post(s)
#12-Jul-18 06:11

Think I must be getting old! We have done this before and I have the Mt Eden file. Can't remember how I use it though

tjhb

8,348 post(s)
#12-Jul-18 08:45

See Custom Coordinate System Presets. Talk tomorrow.

drtees30 post(s)
#12-Jul-18 18:46

I have had a lot of experience trying to get CAD files correctly registered in Manifold 8. In Washington State, a CAD file could be projected to Washington State Plane North or State Plane South. The datum can be NAD83 or NAD27. Units of measure can be in feet or meters (typically feet because we Americans are mired in the illogical Imperial units of measure). It all depends on where in the state the survey was conducted and how the base monument was located by the local jurisdiction. Sometimes (fortunately not often), a survey could be in Universal Transverse Mercator Zone 10N. I will go through the most likely projections until I come across one that is reasonably correct based on the Lat-Long on the status bar. It would be nice if the surveyor would provide projection information on their files. Mostly, they don't.

Things get really interesting when the survey is based on pseudo-coordinates. Surveyors will often get a CAD drawing out that is dimensionally correct, but not projected. The CAD files can be projected at a later date if needed. When I get a file using pseudo-coordinates, I end up having to manually georegister each layer. I will register one CAD layer to a GIS drawing layer that contains the same information (such as a parcel boundary). Then, I will use the newly registered CAD layer to register all remaining layers. If I were facile in writing scripts, the process could be automated to save me time.

steveFitz

224 post(s)
#12-Jul-18 23:31

Then, I will use the newly registered CAD layer to register all remaining layers

You can import CAD into M9 with all layers in a single drawing (a check box option) which would make it much easier to manually georegister & georeference or, in M8 you can use the add-in dwg Tools to flatten all layers to a single drawing. In both cases the layer names are retained in a table field so you can then separate the layers into individual drawings based on that field.

Steve

mao90210
75 post(s)
#27-Sep-18 10:32

Hi steveFitz. i find it interesting and i think its a big help for me of the script you've made.

I downloaded the project map file installer and i tried to run the '_Install Add-In Script'.

but it says "No overload for method 'InvokeCommand' takes '1' arguments CS1501" in the error pane.

Can you please give me the Zip file installer?

Thank you very much

steveFitz

224 post(s)
#30-Sep-18 06:54

mao90210

Can you double check you have .Net version 4 installed?

I don't understand that error. Is there a line number with it?

I think if the initial script doesn't work then it is doubtful the rest of the add-in will work either.

Also let me know what MF version you are installing on. If all else fails I'll post a zip file in the original thread.

steveFitz

224 post(s)
#01-Oct-18 01:03

I had a look at the code and am not sure why it is bugging. InvokeCommand can take a single argument.

Would you mind checking if this C# script example works on your system?

I see that the original DwgTools thread has not had a post in (just) over a year and is now read-only so I've attached a zip of the add-in folder and files for your Manifold Config folder. Don't forget to "unblock" the zip file before unzipping to its destination.

Steve

Attachments:
Dwg Tools_1.zip

mao90210
75 post(s)
#08-Oct-18 07:05

Hi steve, thank you for your reply.

I did follow your instruction, i paste the dwg tool in the manifold config.

but still doesn't work

Attachments:
Image.jpg

steveFitz

224 post(s)
#08-Oct-18 09:23

Would you mind checking if thisC# script example works on your system?

mao90210
75 post(s)
#09-Oct-18 06:16

Hello steve, ive already check this, still doesn't work either.

Im using windows 10 .. system says my dot net 4 framework is above 4, but i check it in my C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework i dont have dot 4 framework...

Attachments:
asa2s.jpg
asas.jpg

steveFitz

224 post(s)
#09-Oct-18 12:59

The best way to check is to look in the Registry - see this link

If you don't have it you will need to install it.

steveFitz

224 post(s)
#11-Oct-18 06:16

I checked online to find "...Windows 10 Creators Update (all editions) includes the .NET Framework 4.7as an OS component, and it is installed by default". I have Manifold 8.0.30 installed on a Windows 10 machine & both the script & the Add-in work on it (I didn't have to specially install any .Net version). Do you have another computer you could try with? Are you using 8.0.30?

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2017 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.