Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Cheat sheet for M9
Forest
625 post(s)
#23-Jul-18 23:00

I don' t use M9 that often and am always rusty with the key presses that make Manifold the fastest GIS around in expert hands. So I Googled for a cheat sheet and did not find one. Didn't find one in the help file either but that is not a please to use. I reckon that the keyboard shortcuts are so important, they should be their own entry in the help menu. To click on the menu and get to the keyboard shortcuts page with one click would be nice.

tjhb
10,094 post(s)
#23-Jul-18 23:47

See the release notes for 9.0.167.0, and the Quick Reference Guides section in the manual.

tonyw
736 post(s)
#24-Jul-18 03:55

Pressing F1 brings up a list of keyboard shortcuts in your browser. This is what's brought up http://www.manifold.net/doc/mfd9/maps_guide.htm

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#24-Jul-18 06:44

Or, depending on the context when you press F1 (it's different for a table, layout, query..) one of the other quick reference guides cited in Quick Reference Guides.

Mike Pelletier

2,122 post(s)
#24-Jul-18 15:55

Missed this before. Thanks for adding this feature. Super helpful.

Forest
625 post(s)
#25-Jul-18 05:46

I still think that the quick references should be an entry in the M9 application help menu.

tjhb
10,094 post(s)
#25-Jul-18 07:46

First you should apologise. (You really messed up in that first post.)

Then you should say exactly what you mean.

Do you mean that the Quick Reference Guide sections should be available to offline users?

If so I agree.

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#25-Jul-18 17:50

Expanding the Help menu to include a Quick Reference entry with an F1 shortcut indicated is easy, and something that could be done immediately.

tjhb
10,094 post(s)
#25-Jul-18 22:31

If I overreacted in my last post above, it's because I'm somewhat aware how much work goes into the documentation for 9 as well as the product, constantly.

When criticism is called for, the critic should also do homework, but there was none.

Forest
625 post(s)
#27-Jul-18 00:52

Hi Tim,

I fished around for about 10 minutes using the terms I could think of. Quick reference was not one of those terms. There really is two things that are essential to being able to make Manifold work better than any other GIS. The first is to know the keyboard shortcuts. The second is to use SQL. Luckily the first one can be addressed by adding an entry to the help menu.

I am heavy QGIS user and just jump into Manifold when QGIS fails so I have reached the point where I forget stuff as fast as I learn it. There is not much point in me reading all of the documentation. I depend on the user interface to remind me what to do.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.