Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Grid maths in M9 - Transfering lidar texture to a coarser DEM
danb

1,656 post(s)
#30-Jul-18 03:23

I have a task which I really want to undertake in Manifold 9 due to the volume of data involved. Unfortunately however it will involve using grid maths and conditional logic to manipulate and combine grids (as would be achieved via Surface > Transform in Mfd8).

I am attempting to apply the surface ‘texture’ of more detailed, but geographically restricted lidar data to a coarser but geographically extensive DEM. This might sound like an odd thing to wish to do, but the additional information encoded in the lidar ‘texture’ is very useful for fine guidance of covariates used in digital soil mapping of low lying areas.

To this end, I have created a simple proof of concept in Mfd8 which I have outlined below, but ideally would like to complete the process in Mfd9 due to the volume of lidar data rather than processing tile by tile in Mfd8.

Is this sort of processing currently available in Mfd9 given that while the two grids are expressed in the same projection, the pixel dimensions and offsets are different?

BTW Merge in Mfd9 won’t work for me in this case due to height differences between the DEM and Lidar data creating a large height step along the join line.

Mfd8 Processing steps (please feel free to make any suggestions for improvements as this is really just a proof of concept):

1. Harvest the lidar texture (from [LIDAR_DEM])

This I have done as simply as possible, by generating a highly smoothed 'average' lidar surface using the median pixel value over an arbitrary wide window here 5 pixels deep (11x11 window). I subtract this 'average' surface from the unmodified lidar to retain the texture without the heights.

[LIDAR_DEM] - MedValue([LIDAR_DEM], 5)

The resulting grid is called [LIDAR_TEXTURE].

1. Combine the lidar texture and the coarse DEM data ([BASE_DEM])

Combination is achieved using conditional statements. If the lidar texture is null (here -9999), use the coarser base dataelse use the coarse DEM plus the lidar texture. Because the range of values in the texture is small, this doesn't really change the overall height of the base DEM, rather only imposes the local texture which is more important than the height.Combination by this method will also not create a significant step in heights across the lidar/coarse DEM boundary.

IIf([LIDAR_TEXTURE] = -9999, [BASE_DEM], [BASE_DEM] + [LIDAR_TEXTURE])

The resulting grid is called [BASE RESULT].

1. The result of this conditional statement does leave some pixel artefacts along the join line between the datasets (not sure why). I have smoothed these using something like:

[BASE RESULT FINAL]:

IIf([BASE RESULT]>5000, MedValue([BASE RESULT], 4), [BASE RESULT])

Attachments:
Clipboard-1.jpg

Landsystems Ltd ... Know your land | www.landsystems.co.nz

adamw

8,139 post(s)
#01-Aug-18 13:46

It all looks fairly simple except for the first step with the median filter which is doable, but more complex than it needs to be because we don't have the median filter as a built-in function (coming).

Step 1: Do median filter on the more detailed but covering a smaller area LIDAR DEM. This currently requires a script. Tell me if you want it. Write the result into the second tile field in the same table as the original image.

Step 2: Subtract the result of the median filter from the LIDAR DEM, leaving only the texture. This is just a Subtract transform between the tile fields. If we were writing the result of the median filter into a separate image, this would have required a join between the two images on X and Y.

Step 3: Fill invisible pixels in the texture with 0. This is me getting rid of IIf - let's just convert it into an addition. The filling of invisible pixels is done using TileCombine(tile, TileMakeNew(cx, cy, 0)), invisible pixels in the first tile get filled from the second tile.

Step 4: Project the texture to the exact coordinate system of the less detailed but covering a bigger area base DEM, using the exact same tile size as the base DEM. The coordinate system, including offsets and scales, and the tile size have to be exactly the same, this will make sure the X and Y values in the base DEM and the projected texture correspond to the same tiles.

Step 5: Add two images together. This requires a join on X and Y. Adding tiles is done using just tile1+tile2.

Step 6: Smooth the result using the median filter again.

We are planning to make it easier to combine images dynamically automatically projecting them during transforms, this should make a fair bit of the above automatic.

danb

1,656 post(s)
#04-Aug-18 00:34

Apologies for the delay in responding. Many thanks for this Adam, I suspected that the infrastructure would be largely there but not the GUI implementation. Very glad also to hear that it is coming as I believe M9 will ultimately transform much of my work with lidar and point clouds.

With regards your kind offer for a median filter script, if a builtin filter is coming, I don't wish to distract you, though I am interested if it will demonstrate a way to generate custom filters further down the track.

adamw

8,139 post(s)
#04-Aug-18 08:57

Let's wait until the built-in filter then (yes, it is coming). We will provide examples of custom filters regardless.

tjhb

8,277 post(s)
#13-Aug-18 02:54

I'm going to have a decent go at writing a median filter in the next week or so. I need to learn to write Manifold 9 filters in a standardised way for my own purposes.

I would be really grateful if Dan could test the particular filter, perhaps against Manifold 8; and if Adam could cast an eye over the eventual code and suggest areas for improvement (including as to speed and efficient data access).

danb

1,656 post(s)
#13-Aug-18 05:05

That would be great Tim and a really useful learning exercise for me. I look forward to testing your filter in due course.

adamw

8,139 post(s)
#13-Aug-18 07:29

Of course I'll cast an eye, I love things like this.

tjhb

8,277 post(s)
#13-Aug-18 08:45

Thank you both. This will be fun.

tjhb

8,277 post(s)
#27-Aug-18 01:31

OK sorry for the delay.

Here is my draft code. A query and a script. [Blank lines replaced by blank comments for forum display. Attached code is probably clearer.]

Before going any further, I have a question. I notice that my result, while it looks plausible, and I can't find anything wrong with the code, does not agree with the results in Manifold 8 of either

• MedianSquare (radius 1) or MedianSquare5 (radius 2), or
  • MedValue(s, 1) or MedValue(s, 2)

I don't know why.

As far as I know I have implemented exactly the method described by Adam here, except that I am not (yet) dealing with invisible pixels. Where there are no invisible pixels, there should be no difference.

Query:

--SQL9

VALUE @image TABLE = [ML];

VALUE @table TABLE = [ML Tiles];

VALUE @window INT32 = 1;

-- could use narrower type; applied against INT32

--

-- pass and return single tile

FUNCTION TileMedian(@t TILE, @w INT32TILE AS

SCRIPT [Image filters]

ENTRY 'Script.Median'

;

--

-- TO DO

-- pass and return table (all tiles)

--FUNCTION TileMedian(@t TABLE, @w INT32) TABLE AS

--    SCRIPT [Image filters]

--    ENTRY 'Script.Median'

--    ENTRYSCHEMA 'Script.MedianTable'

--    ;

--

CREATE TABLE [Median Tiles] (

[X] INT32,

[Y] INT32,

[Tile] TILE,

[mfd_id] INT64,

INDEX [mfd_id_x] BTREE ([mfd_id]),

INDEX [X_Y_Tile_x] RTREE ([X][Y][Tile] TILESIZE (128, 128) TILETYPE FLOAT32),

PROPERTY 'FieldCoordSystem.Tile' ComponentCoordSystem(@image),

PROPERTY 'FieldTileSize.Tile' '[ 128, 128 ]',

PROPERTY 'FieldTileType.Tile' 'float32'

);

CREATE IMAGE [Median] (

PROPERTY 'Table' '[Median Tiles]',

PROPERTY 'FieldTile' 'Tile',

PROPERTY 'FieldX' 'X',

PROPERTY 'FieldY' 'Y',

PROPERTY 'Rect' ComponentProperty(@image'Rect'),

PROPERTY 'StylePixel' ComponentProperty(@image'StylePixel')

);

--

PRAGMA ('progress.percentnext' = '100');

--

INSERT INTO [Median Tiles]

([X][Y][Tile])

SELECT

[X][Y],

TileMedian(

TileCutBorder(@image, VectorMakeX2([X][Y]), @window),

@window

)

FROM @table

THREADS 4;

--

TABLE CALL TileUpdatePyramids([Median]);

Script [Image filters]:

// C#

class Script

{

static Manifold.Context Manifold;

public static Manifold.Tile Median(Manifold.Tile tileIn, int radius)

{

Manifold.Application app = Manifold.Application;

Manifold.TileBuilder builder = app.CreateTileBuilder();

Manifold.Tile tileOut = FilterTile(tileIn, radius, builder);

return tileOut;

}

//

private static Manifold.Tile FilterTile(

Manifold.Tile tileIn, int radius, Manifold.TileBuilder builder

)

// TO DO

// add overloaded versions with Tile.TypeClr as extra arg

{

// output tile, net of border

builder.StartTile(

tileIn.Width - 2 * radius, tileIn.Height - 2 * radius, 

tileIn.TypeClr

);

// initially all zeroes

//

// filter window dimension in X and Y

int dim = 2 * radius + 1;

// pixels in filter window

int pixels = dim * dim;

//

// X and Y offset from output pixel to matching input pixel

// is the same as the window radius

// (alias added for clarity)

int offset = radius;

//

// for Manifold type float32

// (adjust per type or overload)

Manifold.Tile.PixelSet<float> pixelsIn =

(Manifold.Tile.PixelSet<float>) tileIn.Pixels;

Manifold.TileBuilder.PixelSet<float> pixelsOut =

(Manifold.TileBuilder.PixelSet<float>) builder.Pixels;

//

// for each output pixel

for (int y = 0; y < builder.Height; y++) {

for (int x = 0; x < builder.Width; x++) {

//

//              pixelsOut[x, y] = pixelsIn[x + offset, y + offset];

// unfiltered input pixel (for testing)

//

// collect pixels within filter window

//float[,] window = new float[dim, dim]; // rectangular (n/a)

float[] window = new float[pixels]; // linear (for sorting)

for (int dx = -radius; dx <= radius; dx++) {

for (int dy = -radius; dy <= radius; dy++) {

int z = (dx + radius) * dim + dy + radius;

// linear index (orthogonal, zero-based)

window[z] = pixelsIn[x + dx + offset, y + dy + offset];

// TO DO

// filter by pixel mask (visible pixels)

}

}

//

// assign the median value

System.Array.Sort(window); // in-place

// the window always has an odd number of pixels

// so we can choose the central value

// TO DO

// adjust when filtering by pixel mask

pixelsOut[x, y] = window[(pixels + 1) / 2];

}

}

return builder.EndTile();

}

//

static void Main()

{

Manifold.Application.Log("Hello, World!");

Manifold.Application.OpenLog();

}

}

My test project is a bit too large to attach, I will correct that with smaller data. But this code should work on any single-channel FLOAT32 image (or DEM).

Attachments:
Apply Median filter forum.sql
Image filters.cs

tjhb

8,277 post(s)
#27-Aug-18 07:15

P.s. I have been wondering whether the Manifold 8 transforms (MedianSquare, MedianSquare5 and MedValue; and possibly MedianCross which I haven't tested here) in fact use a weighted median filter, with weights according to radial distance or value difference from the central pixel--or both together, treating each pixel pair as a 3D vector. (The central pixel itself would need special treatment in all these cases.)

I haven't tried that.

I would like to be able to reproduce whatever 8 does, because from experience, it is very good.

adamw

8,139 post(s)
#27-Aug-18 15:21

The code looks fine except it does not handle invisible pixels (as you say in the post and as you note in one of the TODOs in the script).

You can rework the innermost loop to keep the number of valid values in 'window' (eg, put new values into it using something like 'window[valueCount++] = ...'), then sort just the valid values in the array (System.Array.Sort allows specifying the range to sort) and pick the median from there.

I re-checked and 8 does not do any weighting, it just skips invisible pixels. I suspect this is the reason for the differences, at least on edges.

Added: are you saying the results of the above function differ from output of M8 mid-image with no invisible pixels in sight? If so, I'll check closer.

adamw

8,139 post(s)
#27-Aug-18 15:33

I think I know where the difference comes from: the index of the final value should be pixels/2, not (pixels+1)/2, because it is zero-based. Ie, for a radius of 1 = 3x3 window = 9 pixels, with all pixels visible, the zero-based index of the median value should be 4, not 5. Because pixels are: 0-1-2-3---4---5-6-7-8.

tjhb

8,277 post(s)
#27-Aug-18 16:03

Thanks! I bet I would have compounded my error when adding invisible pixels to the mix. I didn't spot it.

I'll do a fresh comparison after fixing that and confirm I get the same results as 8 now, then add in the pixel masks.

By the way using outer and inner functions in the script was supposedly to help in reusing the same code/structure for other data types and other filters. That might change as I learn more.

Very kind of you to check Adam, thanks again.

Oh, and I also have to thank you for ending my irrational fear of spiders C#.

tjhb

8,277 post(s)
#27-Aug-18 23:29

Confirming that Adam's fix has fixed it. Same result as Manifold 8--almost identical.

The only differences now are in (some) marginal pixels. I am not at all inclined to worry about this. For anyone interested see attached image. The maximum (absolute) difference is just short of 10 units (metres). Roughly 2/3 of differences are > 1 unit (selected). I can reproduce if necessary.

This is using the above query and script (with median derived per Adam's correction), window/radius 1, against transform MedianSquare in Manifold 8.

Different pixels filtered in Manifold 8 using transform "Abs([ML 2] - [Median])" then drawn as points in SQL8.

Otherwise identical.

By the way, query+script in Manifold 9 is noticeably faster than prep+CUDA in Manifold 8.

Attachments:
diff image.png

tjhb

8,277 post(s)
#28-Aug-18 00:28

In case anyone is still interested in the detail (I barely am myself):

The only difference between MedianSquare(s) and MedValue(s, 1) in Manifold 8 is in their treatment of marginal/edge pixels. Otherwise their results are identical.

Since marginal pixel results are nominal for window functions (and normally should be ignored), it might have been better if only one of those functions had existed in 8. Failing that, that they were literally identical.

I expect that the same applies for MedianSquare5(s) and MedValue(s, 2), but I haven't tested.

But this doesn't matter now.

To repeat, there is absolutely no reason for concern here. The different functions handle (redundant) edge pixels slightly differently, but that has no analytic importance.

Finally, the Manifold 9 treatment above is exactly like MedValue(s, w) in Manifold 8. (And also exactly like MedianSquare or MedianSquare5, if edge pixels are ignored.)

adamw

8,139 post(s)
#28-Aug-18 06:43

By the way, query+script in Manifold 9 is noticeably faster than prep+CUDA in Manifold 8.

This is because the window is small (so computations per pixel aren't big and GPGPU is of limited help) and because 9 uses multiple threads and 8 does not. If the window size parameter could grow higher than 5x5, GPGPU with a single thread would have eventually outperformed CPU with four threads. We are going to add median filter functions, including GPGPU variants, with extensions, as a built-in option to 9. But it is good that the performance of a query+script is pretty competitive. There will always be some function that we don't have built-in, being able to write a custom function and have it perform reasonably well is great.

tjhb

8,277 post(s)
#27-Aug-18 23:35

I will post a version allowing for invisible pixels shortly (with perhaps other changes, taking more of Adam's advice).

tjhb

8,277 post(s)
#28-Aug-18 04:38

In the meantime, here is a minimally corrected script, incorporating Adam's necessary fix and a hint.

Some names also changed to be simpler.

// C#

class Script

{

//

{

return tileOut;

}

//

)

// TO DO

// add overloaded versions with Tile.TypeClr as extra arg

{

builder.StartTile(

tileIn.TypeClr

);

// initially all zeroes

//

int nPixels = dim * dim;

//

int offset = radius;

//

// (adjust per type or overload)

//

// for each output pixel

for (int y = 0; y < builder.Height; y++) {

for (int x = 0; x < builder.Width; x++) {

//

//                pixelsOut[x, y] = pixelsIn[x + offset, y + offset];

// unfiltered input pixel (for testing)

//

// collect pixels in filter window

float[] pixelStack = new float[nPixels];

int z = 0;

for (int dx = -radius; dx <= radius; dx++) {

for (int dy = -radius; dy <= radius; dy++) {

//int z = (dx + radius) * dim + dy + radius;

//pixelStack[z] = pixelsIn[x + dx + offset, y + dy + offset];

pixelStack[z++] = pixelsIn[x + dx + offset, y + dy + offset]; // (adamw)

// TO DO

// filter by pixel mask (visible pixels)

}

}

//

// assign the median value

System.Array.Sort(pixelStack); // in-place

// the window always has an odd number of pixels

// so we can choose the central value

// TO DO

// adjust when filtering by pixel mask

pixelsOut[x, y] = pixelStack[nPixels / 2];

// NB zero-based integer division (adamw)

}

}

}

//

static void Main()

{

}

//

}

Attachments:
Image filters.cs

tjhb

8,277 post(s)
#28-Aug-18 04:49

OK, so we can't attach files with .cs extension. Sorry.

Here is same C# script with .txt extension.

And to repeat, more changes to come.

Attachments:
Image filters.txt

tjhb

8,277 post(s)
#30-Aug-18 07:31

I have a version allowing for invisible pixels( masks) but have struck a minor, important issue.

I am trying to be sure it is not me. Nearly sure now--more tomorrow.

tjhb

8,277 post(s)
#31-Aug-18 04:02

It was just me. All fixed.

tjhb

8,277 post(s)
#31-Aug-18 04:17

Here is the revised script, with all amateur comments included.

// C#

class Script

{

//

{

return tileOut;

}

//

)

{

builder.StartTile(

tileIn.TypeClr

);

// initially all zeroes

//

int nPixels = dim * dim;

//

int offset = radius;

//

// input, output pixels

// adjust as necessary or overload

//

// input, output masks

// invisible <-> true

Manifold.Tile.PixelSet<bool> maskIn =

tileIn.PixelMissingMasks;

Manifold.TileBuilder.PixelSet<bool> maskOut = 

builder.PixelMissingMasks;

//

// for each output pixel

for (int y = 0; y < builder.Height; ++y) {

for (int x = 0; x < builder.Width; ++x) {

if (maskIn[x + offset, y + offset]) {

// matching input pixel is invisible

maskOut[x, y] = true;

}

else {

// maskOut[x, y] = false; // implicit

// pixelsOut[x, y] = pixelsIn[x + offset, y + offset];

// raw matching input pixel (for testing)

//

// collect sample pixels in filter window

float[] pixelStack = new float[nPixels];

// adjust as necessary or overload

int z = 0;

//

for (int dx = -radius; dx <= radius; ++dx) {

for (int dy = -radius; dy <= radius; ++dy) {

//

// X and Y index of input pixel

int xIn = x + dx + offset;

int yIn = y + dy + offset;

//

// pixel order and position irrelevant for a median filter

// just collect visible pixels

if (!maskIn[xIn, yIn]) {

// visible

pixelStack[z++] = pixelsIn[xIn, yIn];

}

// other filters may need all pixels in known order

// with missing pixels masked

// can use incremental index as above

// or manual index

// int z = (dx + radius) * dim + dy + radius;

}

}

//

// z is now the number of visible pixels collected

// one-based since post-incremented

// may be odd or even after filtering by mask

// 

// case z == 0 (no visible pixels) is unexpected

// provided that the central source pixel

// (a) if invisible, was masked and skipped;

// (b) if visible, is included in the filter window 

// (both true here)

//

// case z == 1 will be rare

// not worth a special case

//

// order visible pixels in filter window

System.Array.Sort(pixelStack, 0, z);

// in-place

// could use QuickSelect function instead of sorting

//

// log diag info if window has invisible pixel(s)

// if (z < nPixels) {

//    Manifold.Application.Log(

//        string.Format(

//            "n:{0}, z:{1}, {2} [{3}] -> {4}{5}",

//            nPixels, z, 

//            pixelsIn[x + offset, y + offset].ToString(), 

//            string.Join(", ", pixelStack),

//            (z % 2 == 1) ? pixelStack[z / 2].ToString() : pixelStack[z / 2 - 1].ToString() + ", ", 

//            (z % 2 == 1) ? "" : pixelStack[z / 2].ToString()

//            )

//        );

//    }

//

// assign median value

// pixelsOut[x, y] = pixelStack[z / 2];

// for testing

if (z % 2 == 1) { // odd

// choose the central value

pixelsOut[x, y] = pixelStack[z / 2];

// e.g. 9 / 2 -> index 4 -> 5th value

}

else { // even

// (a)

// choose first value from the central pair

// as MedValue in Manifold 8? (tjhb)

// e.g. 8 / 2 - 1 -> index 3 -> 4th value

// pixelsOut[x, y] = pixelStack[z / 2 - 1];

//

// (b) 

// choose second value from the central pair

// as MedianSquare* in Manifold 8 (adamw)

// e.g. 8 / 2 -> index 4 -> 5th value

// pixelsOut[x, y] = pixelStack[z / 2];

//

// (c)

// take average of the central pair

// pixelsOut[x, y] = (pixelStack[z / 2 - 1] + pixelStack[z / 2]) / 2;

// e.g. 8 / 2 -> 4 -> index 3, 4 -> average of 4th and 5th values

// for integer image type rounded toward zero

// this will soften edges slightly

//

// (d)

// choose either first or second value from the central pair

// whichever is closer to current value

var current = pixelsIn[x + offset, y + offset];

var first = pixelStack[z / 2 - 1];

var second = pixelStack[z / 2];

if (System.Math.Abs(first - current) <= System.Math.Abs(second - current))

pixelsOut[x, y] = first;

else

pixelsOut[x, y] = second;

}

}

}

}

}

//

static void Main()

{

}

//

}

No change needed to the query (except for source data, or the radius).

Attachments:
Image filters.txt

danb

1,656 post(s)
#31-Aug-18 20:55

Great work Tim and thanks for posting the revisions, the comments are very useful and I would really struggle to follow your code without them.

This has been a superb practical learning example for me that has really illuminated the mechanisms available to have a query feed a script and to then the script pass the processed result back. Definitely the more of these real world examples the better and pleasing to see such excellent performance on a users customisation which demonstrates what a great job Manifold have made of the interfaces.

tjhb

8,277 post(s)
#31-Aug-18 04:34

With thanks everywhere to Adam.

Comments welcome on substance, style and programming practice.

adamw

8,139 post(s)
#31-Aug-18 12:41

Regarding choosing median from an even number of values: (c) = take an average of left and right median values is frequently undesired because the expectation is that there will be no new values introduced. Of the three remaining options, (a) is perhaps as good as (b) and (d) might be slightly better than any of them. There might be one more technique: if there is an even number of values, add the central value one more time to make the number of values odd and select the median cleanly. We didn't do it this way though, it seems like resolving ambiguities by adding a slight preference to the central value should produce reasonable results, but this needs testing.

dchall8
501 post(s)
#31-Aug-18 17:03

Amateur comments are always appreciated. I used to manage software development and had to force the programmers to add comments until I could understand it (I'm clearly not a programmer). I had built the comment labor hours into the project cost and would not approve final pay until the documentation was finished. And here's how I estimated comment labor hours: start with the programmer's estimate of labor hours, double that, and change the units to the next higher unit. So if the programmer estimated it would take 1 week to do the comments, then I doubled that to 2 weeks and changed weeks to months. So at the beginning I added 2 months of programmer hours for comments. They all said I was crazy, but at the end of the project, I was rarely wrong.

danb

1,656 post(s)
#27-Aug-18 20:02

This is great, thanks Tim.

I will try and get some time to work my way through it today but it looks like it will be an excellent example of the way to approach interacting programmatically with pixels. Also good on Adam for kindly providing insight where only he could.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2017 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.