Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - New video on wildfires project
Dimitri

4,941 post(s)
#02-Aug-18 15:51

There's a new video published on the Gallery page showing how to use the wildfires project with Viewer.

The project has been updated from last year, and the video has been rushed out to help out friends and family in the Northern California areas hit by recent wildfires. The video shows the area around Clear Lake but it can be used to look at the big fire up by Redding as well. It's a shock to see how fast those fires have grown.

The reaction I've gotten from friends who have used this project on the scene has been amazement they haven't had something like this sooner. A friend in the area, who has been sleeping on a couch in his office in Lakeport because the fires blocked access to his home, asked if we could do a video to help emergency personnel. The video was done to help them learn how to work Viewer and to get started quicker. Hope it helps.

If folks on this forum participate in other forums or settings where you can get the word out that this project is available to people who need it, please do so.

Mike Pelletier

1,502 post(s)
#02-Aug-18 16:49

Nice video and project Dimitri. It seems the wildfire.mxb for download is a bit different than the one shown in the video and it would be nice if they were the same. I'll share this with our emergency personnel (Colorado) and share feedback.

Mike Pelletier

1,502 post(s)
#02-Aug-18 19:48

Another thought. The inability to zoom in on the fire layers is a problem. Perhaps have the user draw an area around a fire and then run a query/script that creates an image clip of the fire info and adds it to the map. It will pixelate as one zooms in but just helps to show the lack of accuracy.

Dimitri

4,941 post(s)
#03-Aug-18 07:13

The right solution is to use faster servers. The USGS servers used in the published project are just terrible.

I'll put together a Wildfires2 project today that uses Forest Service WMS servers as shown here - those servers are much faster and when you zoom in they don't stop showing the data.

The problem with those is that they require 9.0.167.9 or later, since only .9 or later can deal with incorrectly configured WMS servers like the Forest Service uses.

That may be why they are fast: people who use WMS conforming clients won't get data from them. You have to use either a client that, through error, ignores what the WMS server says it is doing, or a client that can detect the server error and then tries to work around it.

Anyway, it seems risky to publish a project that requires an Edge build that is a portable installation, and not the "official" build which inexpert users can install in the usual Windows way. That issue will go away next week when the next public build comes out.

Dimitri

4,941 post(s)
#03-Aug-18 09:17

Here is Wildfires2.mxb - This uses Fire Service WMS layers and requires 9.0.167.9 or later. It uses partial transparency for the MODIS and VIIRS I band layers in the map.

Attachments:
Wildfires2.mxb

Dimitri

4,941 post(s)
#03-Aug-18 07:22

It seems the wildfire.mxb for download is a bit different than the one shown in the video and it would be nice if they were the same

It is the same .mxb as in the video. I just downloaded it and checked.

What might be going on is the following (which I ran into myself, yesterday): If you download the Wildfires.mxb archive and put it into the same folder that already has a Wildfires.map project, when you command Manifold to open the .mxb it sees the same-named .map and opens that.

I think that is wrong assumption as to what the user wants to do. The logic is that the .mxb and the .map are images of the same thing, and if the .map is already available it is quicker to just use that than to decompress the .mxb and to rebuild a .map.

But, if the .map is an old version and the .mxb is a newer version, that logic doesn't apply because opening the .map will open an older version.

You can test this by downloading the .mxb and putting it into a folder where there is no like-named .map. Open the .mxb and you get what is seen in the video.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2017 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.