Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Change defaults
TomGrn10 post(s)
#30-Aug-18 04:45

<!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} <![endif]-->

In Manifold 8, is it possible to change the system defaults for Line Size, Area Border Size, View>Properties>Precision, or Default Projection for new drawings? Is it possible to add to or change the View>Zoom To presets? Could this be done via the Config folder, or would a script be necessary? Speaking as someone who is pretty much a novice at scripting.

tjhb

8,348 post(s)
#30-Aug-18 07:28

No it isn't. Defaults are fixed in 9.

If you want to be able to specify defaults in 9, you should make suggestions (being sure to say why).

adamw

8,216 post(s)
#30-Aug-18 17:10

No. Default formatting values are fixed. (Not just in 9 like Tim says, also in 8.)

We have a couple of ideas in that area for 9 which would perhaps do at least part of what you want - ie, we might allow auto-formatting a drawing created manually, but (a) that's for 9, not for 8, and (b) we'd appreciate some input on what specific scenarios should produce drawings formatting according to user-specified defaults.

Mike Pelletier

1,529 post(s)
#30-Aug-18 19:52

It would be lower on my list, but if I could define styles to roads, streams, parcels, and a host of other commonly used layers it would speed map making. It would be nice to have multiple different styles ready to go for each layer that is designed to work with different backdrops, such as an aerial (darkish), USGS topo (lightish), or just blank.

Of course pulling a layer from a Mfd 9 project should default to the style defined in that project, but allow the user to change the style without breaking the link.

I think ESRI sometimes applies default formatting if it recognizes the layer name. For example, if a new line layer is named stream, river, creek, brook, etc. it might get colored blue. This is way down my list.

I'm glad you ask these kinds of questions (asking for suggestions on things underdevelopment and not in users hands). It might help with the problem of users not knowing what suggestions to offer since we don't know the current development of new cartographic features Also with programmers spending lots of time creating features/processes to get the ball rolling but perhaps unsure which direction to go and then perhaps reluctant to change due to the time investment.

TomGrn10 post(s)
#31-Aug-18 20:01

I ask because on virtually every project, I find it is necessary to change the default settings of these items to a different value, typically the same on every project. For example, the default setting for Line Size is 1, which produces a line that looks the same as Size 2 on the screen, but is barely visible or not visible on a PDF or printout. I usually create Areas where a Border Size of 2 is needed. View>Properties>Precision default is 0.000001 m, which is 1 micron! Which means that running Normalize Topology on a default drawing tends to not bring line end points together, so Join Lines won't work, until I change Precision to 0.5 m or greater. Using Snap addresses part of this issue. Almost every drawing I do is in the same projection, which requires changing it from Orthographic to a different projection.

I typically use the same set of scales, which are based on 1"= 100 ft, 1"=200 ft, 1"=1000 ft, 1"=2000 ft, or their equivalents in Mercator since I use Virtual Earth images as backdrops. The Mercator scales include a correction factor of about 15% at 30 degrees N, to give a printout at about the same scales as above, thus the scales are odd ones like 1:1380. These scales are handy when using printed maps in the field and using an engineering scale to measure distance on the map. Being able to have those as defaults in View>Zoom To would speed up workflow.

Copying and pasting layers or .map files with the desired settings from one project to another helps, but doesn't address all of it.

Although I am currently using Manifold 8, at some point I plan to migrate to Manifold 9, and the same issues seem likely to occur with 9.

adamw

8,216 post(s)
#22-Sep-18 09:01

We hear you.

Some of the things you mention are already better in 9. For example:

Tolerance (View - Properties, Precision in 8) is no longer hidden and you can both see and edit it freely in the Transform pane (Transform toolbar in 8) right before performing the transform.

All formatting sizes are device-independent. Lines are the same width on paper / in PDF as they are on the screen. Points are the same size, area hatches have the same spacing, etc. More, newest cutting edge builds give you fine-grained control over the sizes and other parameters of individual style elements - so, for example, you can specify that you want the line used in the area pattern to be 1.25 pt in size and the system is going to use that size everywhere. See 9.0.168.2. If you don't have a license of 9, you can check out the viewer - it is free, and it has all updates, the latest build available on the Viewer Downloads page tracks the latest cutting edge build for 9.

Now, we don't yet have a way to quickly format a drawing, say, according to a template, but we are planning to add something like that in the future.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2017 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.