Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Problems importing MDB into Manfifold 8 (32 bit)
surveyor
23 post(s)
#03-Sep-18 20:08

I am having trouble importing the attached MDB file in M8-32bit version. I was able to do this before - maybe 2 years ago but the format of the MDB may have been updated by the software that creates it. It is not Access, but a specialized survey calculation software built on the "Intellicad" cad engine. I am able to open the file with LibreOffice where I see that it contains a single table. (See compiled screen captures in PDF attached) When opening it, I am prompted to select a "Character Set", and after some trials discovered that "Western Europe (ASCII/US)" gives the best results.

The attached sample MDB is just one of 100's that I need to import and the process needs to be repeated on a regular basis so a manual conversion process for each file is not a practical solution.

I notice the release notes of the newest Radian version mentions something about improved performance with database files, but to be honest I got scared by the entirely new UI so have not used it.

Perhaps it is time?

Attachments:
Data view in LibreOffice.pdf
File005.MDB

yves61
141 post(s)
#04-Sep-18 08:22

I viewed your LibreOffice.pdf file.

I see there are several "," in the field naming on top of each column.

I am not aware that "," are allowed in field naming.

Dimitri

4,980 post(s)
#04-Sep-18 13:37

Perhaps it is time?

No need to wonder. There's a free Viewer for that.... :-) Import your .mdb and see. There's even a step by step example how to do it. :-)

Dimitri

4,980 post(s)
#04-Sep-18 18:58

Could not restrain my curiosity, so I tried to download the .mdb, but I don't see it. Could you try uploading it again? Also, maybe better as a zip file.

Dimitri

4,980 post(s)
#05-Sep-18 08:23

Aha... I have found the reason the file you attached cannot be imported. It is not a Microsoft .mdb file.

Easy to prove: try opening it with Microsoft Access. I won't open, and is rejected by Access with an "unrecognized database format" error. It looks like whatever software created it does not correctly write .mdb format.

surveyor
23 post(s)
#10-Sep-18 21:50

Alas, I have found the offending code and looked at the coder who made the gaff... and saw myself looking back in the mirror.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2017 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.