Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Style Drawings, thematic formatting, colours/colors
tonyw
467 post(s)
#10-Oct-18 19:57

In M9, is there a sequence of how colours are applied in thematic formatting? See the attached screenshot. I wish to apply thematic formatting to borders and areas. I have used CTRL-Click to add both the border and area to be formatted. From the colour picker I select Classic > Grey to Reds. What I expected was for the borders and areas to be both coloured from grey (top) to red (at the bottom) in two parallel tracks. However the spectrum from grey to red seems to be applied in a across/down pattern but the pattern takes a meandering path across and down the two columns of square boxes. My hand drawn red line is how I perceive the transition from grey to red.

Is there a way to apply the same colour theme to borders and areas without having to apply the theme separately? At the scale of my drawing, I want to make the borders the same colour as the area otherwise even a minimal border width, the colour of the areas are dominated by the colour of the borders.

Attachments:
Thematic colouring.JPG

Dimitri

5,106 post(s)
#11-Oct-18 08:16

The left column of color wells in your illustration are applied to the stroke color for the area. The right column of color wells in the illustration are applied to fill color for the area. Both columns are not applied to objects in an undulating sequence as indicated by the sketched red path/arrow.

Try switching from interpolate to closest higher value to see the effect without any visual intricacy from interpolation.

If you look at areas that are colored by the 36.4 interval you'll see the fill color is a lighter pink and the stroke color for the area outline is a very dark, almost black red.

If you simultaneously add both stroke color and fill color to the intervals, then choosing a palette will automatically make the stroke color a darker shade of the palette. If you want to use completely independent palettes for stroke and fill color, set the thematic format separately.

You can do a shortcut for the above by first ctrl-clicking both wells so they both use the same thematic intervals, arrange those intervals as you like, assign the pallet you want for fill color, and then ctrl-click the fill color button off so that only the stroke color column remains. You can then assign the palette to that again and it won't be automatically darkened. That saves the effort of duplicating the intervals, copying/pasting sets of intervals in the mfd_meta table, or other shortcut methods.

adamw

8,242 post(s)
#11-Oct-18 10:26

To add just a bit to Dimitri's post which explains it all:

What happened is that the palette got applied to the fill color (the second row) and since you had both colors in the list, the pane took the liberty to set the stroke color to be a notch darker than the fill color - because that's what people commonly do.

Is there a way to apply the same colour theme to borders and areas without having to apply the theme separately? At the scale of my drawing, I want to make the borders the same colour as the area otherwise even a minimal border width, the colour of the areas are dominated by the colour of the borders.

If you have both colors selected, the system will do its smart auto-logic and keep the stroke color slightly darker than the fill color. In order to have the two colors be exactly the same, first apply the theme to one of the colors, then Ctrl-click the second color to add it to the list, Ctrl-click the first color to remove it from the list (and turn off the smart auto-logic you don't want) and reapply the theme.

Maybe we should provide a switch to disable the automatic darkening somewhere in the pane. Although there are some other things we are working on which will let you have the same colors easier.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2017 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.