Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - M8 and debugger
vincent

1,733 post(s)
#13-Nov-18 14:37

Hi,

I think one of the latest Windows update removed the debugger used by M8 32 bits. Any hint about what I should do to recover it ?

Thank you.

adamw

8,259 post(s)
#14-Nov-18 07:57

Which version of Windows is it and what was the last update to it?

I tried debugging a script in VBScript using 32-bit Manifold 8 on a test system with Windows 10 and it worked fine, but obviously that was just one test system.

vincent

1,733 post(s)
#14-Nov-18 14:26

Windows 10 Pro 1803 (17134.345)

vincent

1,733 post(s)
#14-Nov-18 14:47

I copied and registered pdm.dll and msdbg2.dll again in Windows\SysWOW64 using regSvr32. It is working again.

adamw

8,259 post(s)
#14-Nov-18 15:14

Happy to hear it is working.

A safer way to get the DLLs you reference would be to install a Microsoft product that uses them. Many download Remote Tools for Visual Studio because of a fairly small footprint. This page contains download links for these tools for various versions of Visual Studio - the tools for Visual Studio 2015 do contain PDM.DLL for sure, and the tools for Visual Studio 2017 likely contain it as well.

In terms of which update broke things, if you are auto-installing updates for Office (or Visual Studio), it might have been one of those.

lionel

519 post(s)
#20-Nov-18 22:32

Hi

1) it is strange the debugger icon for JScript is enable in manifold 8 32 bit but cannot be use for manifold 8 64 bits!

Here the capture screen !!

2) can we have the step you use regserv

"C:\Windows\SysWOW64\"

pdm = Microsoft Process Debug Manager

msdbg2.dll = msdbg2.dllActive Debugging Proxy/Stub

but don't find information in which context there a re use ? ( mnaifold , asp server , visual studion , .NET) !!!

Attachments:
Jscript_debug_manifold8.png

join image "Because my dad promised me" interstellar from Manifold: Time by Stephen Baxter. power Math destruction

adamw

8,259 post(s)
#21-Nov-18 07:46

That's probably the 64-bit script engine not supporting debugging interfaces anymore, but we'd check to be sure. What's the operating system? Windows 10, fully updated?

lionel

519 post(s)
#21-Nov-18 23:48

Yes theHi

1) there is 6 days all my system OS has been update . The first launch remove all my user setting ( but don't store now my work under user directory experience matter and use my own storage server ) then after reboot all files/directory under my user account login appear.

My OS is now

OS Name : Microsoft Windows Home

OS version : 10.0.1/134 N/A Build 17134

Manifold 8 32 bit return this ( see after )

2) strange i have not the last version

3) there is now a usefull trick to be able to have absolute path from any file .

press shift key before select the file and show contextual menu then a new item in the menu appear call "Copy as path". Don't know since which version this appear butreally really helpfull !

regard's

Attachments:
manifold8_about.png
windows_OSversion.jpg

join image "Because my dad promised me" interstellar from Manifold: Time by Stephen Baxter. power Math destruction

lionel

519 post(s)
#22-Nov-18 00:01

now see what return manifold 9 64 bit when i do using menu Help -> about !!

Yes you can interpret by yourselft than the name OS return by MAnifold 8 32 bit and MAnifold 9 64 bit are not he same !!

Mfd 8 32 bit => window8

Mfd 9 64 bit => window10

perhaps

1) the OS is the one at the date of first install and the information is not update anymore when OS update

2) information return by OS is miss interpret by MAnifold software ( but don't think so )

!!!! Strange ...

regard's

h

Attachments:
manifold9_about.png

adamw

8,259 post(s)
#22-Nov-18 08:29

The difference in readouts in the About box between M8 and M9 is simple - the last material update to M8 was done before Windows 10 was there.

We'll look into why M8 reports it cannot debug scripts in 64-bit mode. If that's something that is just no longer available in Windows 10, then fine, but if not, well, we'd at least would like to know.

vincent

1,733 post(s)
#22-Nov-18 13:44

I'm not able to use the debugger in 64 bits for years. I tought it was normal.

adamw

8,259 post(s)
#22-Nov-18 15:50

We checked and yes, not being able to use debugging in 64-bit mode is normal in that M8 does not support it, however it looks like we might be able to add such support now. The code that does 64-bit debugging is slightly different from the code that does 32-bit debugging, and built-in script engines used to lack a couple of things for 64-bit debugging, but there were some advances on that front and it seems like we now have all that we need for the functionality that we expose, in both modes.

If we do an update to M8 - which we might, but no promises - we'll look closer and if things are as they seem to be, we'll get 64-bit debugging in.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2017 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.