Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Image Merging in M9
drtees33 post(s)
#30-Nov-18 17:24

For years, I have been downloading high resolution imagery for specific jobs off of Earth Explorer. The newest imagery is often in single files with no single file covering an entire project. Perhaps there is a better technique, but in M8, I would open one image, then copy and paste-merge the other files into the first image to create a single image. I would then delete the single images from the map file to manage the impact of the project on our limited server space. (To answer the upcoming question why I have never used image servers is that in the past, they either didn't work, worked too slowly, or provided imagery that was not up-to-date.)

A recent project involved downloading 32 individual files to cover the entire area. In M8, meging 32 images would be a task taking a couple of hours and requiring saving the map file, exiting M8, and reopening M8 to free up system memory. I decided to see if M9 could do it differently. To my pleasant surprise, it does! The longest part of the entire process was loading up all the image files.

Now, I am really looking forward to the day when M9 can provide many of the daily image-producing functions I use M8 for.

tjhb

8,410 post(s)
#30-Nov-18 17:54

That's great..

If you can give an example of a key image-processing function, maybe someone can say or show how to do that in 9. Everything is possible, since 9 is infinitely extensible, it's only a question of cost in time.

danb

1,668 post(s)
#30-Nov-18 20:52

Merging is fantastically fast in M9. I merged some lidar tiles a while back in a project which already contained nearly half a TB of lidar data. The 30000x22000 surface was merged and written to a new component in the project in an eye watering:

2018-11-05 09:06:39 -- Merge: [1 DEM LiDARMetadataFloodHazardsFpfa1187_2017] (3.538 sec)

I really want to test this in some other packages by way of comparison.

For me the next step (working in a mixed shop and working for clients running other systems) would be to be able to export (image mosaics not lidar) to formats such as JPEG2000 or other similarly performant formats with per pixel transparency (discussed in another thread) for irregular images or where we want to clip the image to an irregular boundary.

Also to have some less clunky ways of linking folder(s) of images and adding them to a map for merging and also to have merging options like those in Global Mapper where the mosaic image can be limited to the extent of a feature, selection, viewport etc.

Landsystems Ltd ... Know your land | www.landsystems.co.nz

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2017 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.