Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - null strategy
lionel

995 post(s)
#30-Nov-18 22:17

In fehily book i can read than "Nevertheless , you won't be a competent SQL programmer without understanding null completely "

i search how mfd9 sql engine behave with null /insert return directly ( edit table) or after apply sql function or script that use table driver

if i read doc of GeomArea([Geom], 0) it return a <value> <NULL> for point and line and 0 for collapse area or value >0 for no collapse area .

Is there general documentation about null or because there is so much contet that better is foreach context study by ourown the behaviour of null ?

here some content refer to link find in manifold 9 documentation about null

null 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59

60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

nullable

nulled

1 For example, if all of the fields in a table have NULL values in at least some records none of the fields will be suitable for use as an index. We will have to add a new field to the table and then create an index on it.

2 Aggregates ignore NULL values. First and Last return the first and last value respectively. Unlike most other aggregates, First and Last do not skip NULLs.

3 Renamed transforms: Enclosing Rect, Rotation Allowed -> Enclosing Rect with Rotation, Is NULL -> Null Values, Is not NULL -> Non-null Values. Renamed transform parameters: DX -> Delta X, DY -> Delta Y, Pattern (when used by Like) -> Pattern (%_).

> ? COALESCE(NULL

NULL, 1/0, NULL, 5, 8)

float64: 5

The COALESCE function walks through the arguments and returns the first non-NULL value. The first four values are NULLs and are skipped. The fifth argument produces the result, 5, while the sixth argument is ignored.

5 the computed field that references a nonexistent countries table marks itself as having failed to load and returns NULL values.

Manifold Future - Future Tour Part 6 Cell Context Menu - A short video showing a fast and easy way to copy between cells in tables using the context menu. Also... one step undo of pending changes, setting the value of a cell to NULL and more. T

7 Delete - Delete the value in the cell, resulting in <NULL>

8 The Non-null Values and Null Values templates open only the Value combo box while other templates will open additional combo boxes to specify other parameters the template requires.

9=6

10 Filter

Enter text to be matched, case not significant. The list of operators and functions will be reduced to show only those items which match the text. For example, entering nullreduces the list to only those items that have NULL in their names.

11=6

12 Three new records appear in the table. Since we did not paste anything into the classfield, that field has NULL for each record.

The system will scan all values in the field to make sure there are no duplicates or NULLs

14 DISTINCT

NULLs - All NULL values are treated as equal to each other (the behavior prescribed by the standard and implemented in other databases). DISTINCT is one of those places where the notion of a NULL as a generic unknown value meets established practice: instead of treating all NULL values as different from all other values, including other NULL values, DISTINCT treats them as the same value. For example, using DISTINCT on a table with a single field will combine all NULL values into a single record.

To manually set the value of a cell to <NULL>, right-click onto the cell and choose Delete.

By default the New Field dialog lets us specify the name and the data type of the new field. We should, of course, set the field type to something sensible for the field we intend to add. For example, if want to add a field with names of people and we accidentally choose a type of tile instead of the nearby nvarchar when we try to populate the field with text the result will be NULLs.

Delete

Delete the contents of the cell, which creates a <NULL> value in the cell.

Delete - Delete the value in the cell, resulting in <NULL>

=6

16 The GeomArea function computes the area of area objects and returns NULL for line and point objects (which do not have dimensional area).

regard's

Attachments:
null_test_v9.map

Book about Science , cosmological model , Interstellar travels

Boyle surface fr ,en

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#12-Dec-18 09:06

Is there general documentation about null or because there is so much contet that better is foreach context study by ourown the behaviour of null ?

The general info about NULLs is that a NULL denotes an unknown value. Everything else flows from that.

However, that's just a general rule. In some cases, NULLs are handled slightly differently, for historical or practical reasons.

lionel

995 post(s)
#19-Dec-18 03:10

This make me think of undefined of JavaScript. There a very very good short video tutorial ( 3h Free after you need to pay 19$ doesnt matter when quality is here ) where author say never use undefined during affection only for test content (Variable initialisation then affectation).Summarize i ll be : let JavaScript engine use this keywords but dont use it even you could . the author cover also language operator that do implicit cast on your back ( = do it not == precedence ) The author was a young programmer even before learn programming.i ll post the link. great software mean great dev.....( argh discovery a bug during this writing in firefox Android ! Feedback from end user are ......gold

Boyle surface fr ,en

KlausDE

6,410 post(s)
#19-Dec-18 13:43

BTW I miss the possibility to use <NULL> for thematic formating. 'Unknown' is not 'not existant'.

Do you really want to ruin economy only to save the planet?

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#19-Dec-18 15:06

We are going to separate default formatting into a choice of its own in Style pane lists. Right now it gets auto-set to whatever formatting the first choice uses. A separate choice should allow formatting NULLs, they will look the same as all other values you didn't anticipate and didn't specifically mention in the list.

lionel

995 post(s)
#24-Dec-18 01:17

i split a table into 2 tables using text1 field common field ( text1 is abbreviation of fulltext text3 column) in the aim i can edit all the value but don't succeed .

nervermind then I try to see how null value can be enter in a cell . strange there is 2 ways

1) <NULL> in black set explicit by edit table and enter inside "<NULL>" ( wihtout the quote)

2) <NULL> in grey set by SQL engine by default

Is there a way by request to distinguish null set by SQL engine and null set explicitly by edit table ?

Attachments:
null_value.png
test_tree.mxb

Boyle surface fr ,en

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#25-Dec-18 04:19

The black <NULL> is a text string that has the characters "<", "N", "U" and so on in sequence to spell the text string <NULL>. The one in gray is a NULL.

If you want to put a NULL into a text cell, right click onto that cell and choose Delete from the context menu.

See the Editing Tables topic... search for NULL in that topic.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.