Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Importing M9 map files into another open M9 map project fails
gpBike1001
15 post(s)
#14-Dec-18 02:33

For whatever reason I cannot import other M9 .map files into an open M9 map project that I'm working on. The work around is to import the Shape file I used to create the .map file I tried to bring in to may new project. That works.

Copy and paste works if I select the drawing and table components in the project pane of the file want to import. Doing a Crtl-A of all the objects and a paste into the new project pane didn't work either.

tjhb

8,578 post(s)
#14-Dec-18 05:48

Do you know what version the source projects were saved in?

There were breaking changes in version... I will check which.

Dimitri

5,291 post(s)
#14-Dec-18 05:53

For whatever reason I cannot import other M9 .map files into an open M9 map project that I'm working on.

Only one 9 session at a time can connect read/write to a given .map file. Connecting read/write locks out other sessions. If you connect read-only (check the box when you open the .map), then a second 9 session can import that .map file, connect to it read-only also, link to it, etc.

If you want to run multi-user, having tables and drawings that multiple different 9 sessions can read/write, the way to do that is to store the tables/drawings in a multiuser database. Choose any of the free ones and it works great.

The work around is to import the Shape file I used to create the .map file I tried to bring in to may new project.

Not a good alternative: shapefiles kill data because they force storage of highly sophisticated, modern and rich data into brain-dead 1970's era data types.

There are far better alternatives to bring data from one .map file into another, including...

Copy and paste works if I select the drawing and table components in the project pane of the file want to import.

Copy/paste is a great way to copy data from one project and to put it into another.

Doing a Crtl-A of all the objects and a paste into the new project pane didn't work either.

More accurately, you can't Ctrl-A to Copy All because that would be a Copy of the System Data folder, which is unique to the project. You can Copy everything except the System Data folder, for example, hundreds of tables, drawings, images, labels, comments, queries, etc., and Paste those just fine into a new project.

By the way, if you want to use absolutely everything from one Manifold project in two sessions at the same time, why not just copy/paste the project in File Explorer and open both copies at the same time in two different Manifold sessions? Or, if you like link in one copy into some other project you're working with. If you have archival data that's often used in different projects, just keep that in some .map file that you link in read-only and you can use it in however many sessions you want.

tjhb

8,578 post(s)
#14-Dec-18 06:21

I think you've misunderstood, Dimitri. There's no suggestion here of opening the same project more than once.

Dimitri

5,291 post(s)
#14-Dec-18 06:54

Ah, yes, you're right. Sorry about that.

Be that as it may, I can't duplicate this. No problem importing from some other .map file.

Example:

1. Launch 9.

2. Choose File - Import and then import some previously-saved .map file.

Works fine.

Random guesses on what might be happening:

1. There are other Manifold sessions running which have opened read/write the .map file that is to be imported. That won't work for the reasons given in my prior post.

2. The focus in the destination project is on a read-only data source. See the "Portals to Other Worlds" (... somewhat of a trippy heading... ) in the Importing and Linking topic.

For an example of the latter, launch 9 and add the Bing Streets datasource from the favorites. Open that and click open the image in it, which ensures that the focus points into the Bing data source. Now, if you try to File - Import anything it won't work because you are trying to import something into a read-only data source (Microsoft will not allow you to write data into their Bing servers...).

Beginners should note it is not an error that an import may or may not be done into a given data source depending on the characteristics of that data source. For example, if you have linked in a .map project or a read/write SQL Server database it is great to be able to import directly into that data source, and not into the local .map. Likewise, if you've linked something read-only then (of course) an attempted import into that (read-only) data source should not happen.

tjhb

8,578 post(s)
#14-Dec-18 07:04

Yes... or it could be that the projects gpBike1001 is trying to access were created before 9.0.168.0.

Dimitri

5,291 post(s)
#14-Dec-18 07:06

Shouldn't he still be able to access them?

tjhb

8,578 post(s)
#14-Dec-18 07:15

I absolutely don't know. I think backward compatibility has been carefully maintained throughout.

Only forward compatibilty has been compromised, just once or twice, where necessary.

So, yes, you are right. But it might pay to check even so.

tjhb

8,578 post(s)
#14-Dec-18 07:27

Let me overcomplicate things.

User installs 9.0.167.0, then works in cutting-edge builds 9.0.168.x.

Tries to access a project saved by 9.0.168.x from installed version 9.0.167.0.

That could easily fail.

gpBike1001
15 post(s)
#14-Dec-18 15:25

I am using 9.0.168.0 for everything. I'll come back to this next Tuesday (the 18th), experiment some more, and explain it better.

Dimitri

5,291 post(s)
#17-Dec-18 07:03

I am using 9.0.168.0 for everything

Understood, but it's much better to use the latest Cutting Edge build, which is 9.0.168.6

adamw

8,401 post(s)
#18-Dec-18 13:14

For the record, we are interested in both failures, because both scenarios in the first post should normally work.

That is, if you open a MAP file and import a different MAP file, it should work. We found a problem why the import could stop at components copy / pasted from linked data sources and fixed it in the cutting edge builds, so if that's what you are hitting (you can see it in the log), try using 9.0.168.6.

And if you open a MAP file, then open a drawing, then select all objects (Ctrl-A), copy them (Ctrl-C), then paste them into the Project pane, possibly in a different Manifold process (use the Paste button in the Project pane toolbar), you should get a table. Not a drawing, but a table with geometry data, which you can create a drawing from. If you want to copy a drawing, select a drawing and a table, then copy and paste them both in a single step. We made a couple of improvements to that process in cutting edge builds as well, so 9.0.168.6 will work smarter than 9.0.168.0, but 9.0.168.0 should work reasonably well too.

It should not matter what build was used to create the files, a later build should have no issues reading MAP files created by earlier builds.

gpBike1001
15 post(s)
#18-Dec-18 20:49

This morning I tried again to file -> import an unopened M9.0.168.0 created .map file into an open M9.0.168.0 project. The source data were Natural Earth ne_10m shape files for lakes (the import target) and countries (the open destination project), both of which had been converted to an M9.0.168.0 format. The process failed yet again, but that may be of little concern now, as it appears upon further testing that any project open in M9.0.168.6 successfully imports any .map file and it does so no matter whether that file was created in M8 or M9. And that’s the way it should be.

tjhb

8,578 post(s)
#18-Dec-18 22:24

In 9.0.168.0, apart from (a) importing the project, did you also try (b) linking it or (c) adding it as a new datasource? (Alternatives b and c are equivalent.)

gpBike1001
15 post(s)
#18-Dec-18 23:08

Yes, as I recall I did try that, creating a link in M9.0.168.0 to the import target, last week when I first ran into this issue and that did work.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2017 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.