Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Civil War Battles project posted
Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#17-Dec-18 09:31

There's a new .MXB project posted in the examples downloads (both in the Viewer downloads page and the 9 downloads page) that gives Locations for 300 Civil War Battles (actually, 299, I think) in the US Civil War. It's intended as an example project for Viewer users, using a map with Bing streets and Bing satellite layers.

The direct link is: Civil_War_Battles.mxb

Mythman
49 post(s)
#20-Apr-19 03:42

Dimitri’s post of Civil_War_Battles.mxb(t146156.1 )gave me the idea to utilize Manifold to become more familiar with the history and details of the Civil War.It also seemed like a good opportunity to really get familiar with M9.I have been a Manifold devotee since the old days when Database Commander was still being offered, and am altogether comfortable and capable with M8.The plan was first to develop a Civil War Battles M8 project.With that experience in hand, step two was to develop an identical M9 project, recognizing that I’ll need to spend the necessary time RTFM.

I began by importing the MXB project Civil War Battles Table into M8.Using available data sources, I expanded the fields to include all the available tabular battles historical data I could find, including battle Rating, Year, Outcome, Theater, Casualties, etc. With that project largely completed, I have begun an M9 project starting with the expanded Civil War Battles Table, and it is proving to be a great learning experience.All the things I did in developing the M8 project are done differently in M9, but by RTFM, together with having all the data needed already on hand, the startup has been much easier than I expected.

For anyone interested in the Civil War, both the M8 and M9 projects can be downloaded from the google drive link https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1BDvGBttMh8ppoAzjf8yo63BB1ynXWbly?usp=sharing

Take a look at the “Greatest Casualties” map; the numbers are truly incredible.

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#20-Apr-19 08:48

Thanks for sharing! Great data. I trust you georegistered the background map in 8?

Mythman
49 post(s)
#20-Apr-19 15:55

Yes, that's so. I exported the georegistered image from M8 to file, then opened it in M9.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.