Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - offset meaning
lionel

995 post(s)
#18-Feb-19 10:32

since meany months i have offset in mind ... what mean local offset in different context and even understand what tool can be use to define () or update ( shift transform) I can't have an image in my mind !! In which direction offset can be define ? only vertical and horizontal for projection ( shift) but for edge width of shape border in a drawing ...Does the computation is done using for reference start the middle of width border ?

from manifod 9 doc offset return many links but sometimes no explanation only use the term 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 89 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offset_(computer_science)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTC_offset

a offset seem to be group a of value than can use in a specific way to have another value .

I think manifold doc "try to avoid" the use of the name of border or width ( use in ui) to explain thing ( in the good sense ) !!

why local near offset ? there is global offset ? like global projection that at suitable for earth compâre local projection choice suitable for preserved distance angle .....

image from manifold doc about composeRect transform from point (0,0) here with offset 40h,20v

regard's

Attachments:

composeRectangleOffset.png

offset_style.png

Book about Science , cosmological model , Interstellar travels

Boyle surface fr ,en

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#18-Feb-19 12:13

Offset is a shift, yes. The word 'local' is there to tell that this particular shift is applied 'on top' of the general projection - as a local adjustment for a particular component. The intent is to allow having components in the same general projection, and still have means to shift them relative to each other by modifying a value outside of the general projection, stored separately. Same for local scale.

Local offsets / scales exist for X, Y and, starting with 9.0.168.8, for Z.

Exporting data to third-party formats generally gets rid of local offsets / scales by applying them to the data values. This way the exported data gets to be in the clean general projection with no further adjustments necessary.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.