Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - M9 Layout Question
dchall8
578 post(s)
#19-Mar-19 13:37

When I select elements in a map and drag that map to a layout, the selected items do not appear selected in the layout. I have a work around for a small project, but I was hoping the layout would show the selected items. This image shows the layout on the left and the map on the right. The yellow color with red border is correct for those parcels.

Attachments:
Side by Side Layout and Map M9.jpg

adamw

8,447 post(s)
#20-Mar-19 08:58

We do not show selections in layouts because selections in 9 are temporary, whereas in 8 they were persistent.

We can show selections kept per-session, but we are not sure that's the right way to go. Let's say we show selected objects in layout frames. So, if you open a MAP file and then open a layout for a drawing, it shows no selected objects at first, but if you then open the drawing and select something, the layout does show selected objects, and if you then close and reopen the MAP file, the selection is lost and the layout shows no selected objects again. That already feels brittle, what the layout shows seems unstable, but what's next is even worse. What about allowing to restrict a layout frame to show only a subset of the objects - should we allow restricting the extent to the selection? That's what we were allowing in 8, so there're perhaps natural expectations that 9 should do the same, but with selections being temporary is that really the right approach? The layout frames zoomed to the selection are going to reset all the time, is that really what we want? We think it is better to concentrate on specific things you were using selections for and to make those things simpler if they are too complex now. For the general case, everything you could do in 8 with selections, you can do in 9 with saved selections, which are just ordinary boolean fields.

dchall8
578 post(s)
#20-Mar-19 15:59

Thanks Adam. When I make a layout in M8 I frequently set the Right-click>Properties>Scope to 'selection'. This allows me to move around the county and, no matter what I select, it's in the layout automatically. In my case these are temporary events. If I want a permanent copy of this "layout", then I export it to PDF. Then I move on to the next selection. Being able to automatically zoom to selection in a layout completely eliminates the previous process of tweaking zoom levels to match the layout to the area of interest. Before using 'selection' I would use the View Pane and Right-click>Properties>Scope>View. That slows me way down, because for some reason, at very large layout areas the view is 3x the size of the area viewed in the Map. So I look at the map zoom level and divide that by roughly 3. Then I zoom to the new zoom level and create a view in the View Pane. When I pick that view in the layout, it seems to fall in fairly well. But sometimes it doesn't and I have to go back, rezoom, redo the view, and then check it on the layout. It's very fiddly and time consuming. But using the selected property in the layout works every time.

I also use themed labels where Selection (I) property is the basis of the theme. I set the labels to default to invisible color when Selection (I) = 0 and black when Selection (I)=1. That keeps clutter off the screen and speeds up almost everything. In M8 the labels show because the selection shows. Viewing the labels in the layout is what I was looking for in M9.

I can select parcels and make a screen shot in M9, but I can't print what I want from that. Why? Because of the resolution. I often need to print ANSI E sized drawings...or at least I did in M8 (M9 cannot handle anything larger than ANSI C without overflow at the east edge limit). In M8 an exported PDF is full size and resolution.

One of the things I like about M8 is persistent selections. I can save and shut down in the middle of a project on Friday afternoon and return Monday morning to restart right where I left off.

Dimitri

5,359 post(s)
#21-Mar-19 03:54

Why not just use the technique in the Example: Create a Drawing from a Query topic? You can have a project with all the pieces done in advance (the query, a drawing from a query, the layout that shows the drawing from the query in a frame, etc.) and just keep recycling those. Since the drawing made from the query just shows what you select you can double-click on the frame for that in the layout and choose zoom to fit.

dchall8
578 post(s)
#21-Mar-19 13:21

Thanks Dimitri, I'll try that. Never thought about recycling the query drawing. I had been thinking that the drawing from query approach would lead to drawing clutter in the project, but recycling would fix that. Plus when selecting objects in M9, the selected objects become opaque which is usually a problem for what I'm doing. By using the query drawing I can style it to be translucent and outline the shapes, etc. I have just the project to try this on.

dchall8
578 post(s)
#21-Mar-19 21:41

This sounds promising, but I'm not there yet. This picture illustrates the issues.

The map of the project is on the left and the layout on the right. I created the Drawing drawing from the filter of selected items in the Soils drawing. Selected items from the Soils drawing appear in the Drawing drawing as transparent with wide yellow border lines. I chose yellow lines for this illustration because selected items in a drawing have red border lines. The selected items appear as opaque pink in the deeper Soil drawing, so the Drawing drawing overlays it.

On the right is the layout. The bottom frame of the layout is the Drawing drawing. The upper frame is the Soils drawing. The selected items in the Soils drawing do not appear selected, because selections are not persistent. I'm going to say that selected items that appear in the Drawing drawing similarly do not appear in the layout.

Since the drawing made from the query just shows what you select you can double-click on the frame for that in the layout and choose zoom to fit.

Double clicking on the frame in the layout gives you nothing to choose from. Double clicking on the frame of any drawing gives you nothing. If I double click the Soils frame in the layout I can go to View>Zoom to Fit, and then I get the entire county not the selection. Here is an interesting corollary observation: double clicking on the Soils frame in the layout allows you to zoom and pan; however, double clicking on the Drawing frame gives you nothing. Nothing ever appears in that frame, and double clicking on it does not give the expected black frame.

Attachments:
Layout of Drawing from Query M9.jpg

Dimitri

5,359 post(s)
#22-Mar-19 09:23

Try refreshing the layout by closing/opening it, or by docking/undocking, so that any drawings in the layout created from queries can update with whatever are the latest results from that query. Double-clicking the Drawing frame should switch it into pan/zoom mode, where you'll be able to choose View - Zoom to Fit.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2017 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.