Thanks, this helps.
I played with this a bit and had some success with the batch converter / batch import into 9.
I installed GPS Utility (5.34, latest version available) and then GPS Utility Batch File Converter (1.3, latest version available). I then launched GPS Utility and it told me that I have to run it once as the administrator to register the interface for the batch converter. The message box had three buttons: OK (fine, remind me later) - Ignore (stop reminding) - Help, I pressed OK, relaunched the utility as the administrator, then closed it, launched it again as a normal user to see if the message box would now disappear, and it did disappear. I then launched batch converter and it reported 'Connected to: GPS Utility (5.34' at the top.
I set the controls in the batch utility to: Source folder = <my folder with several TRK files> (clicked Browse button and selected the folder, this populated the file list on the right), Source file type = TRK, Change grid to = LAT LON DM (was autoselected, I kept the selection), Change datum to = WGS 84 (was autoselected, I kept the selection), Target folder = Same as source folder (checked the box), Target type = SHP. The Status reported that I have 5 files to convert. I clicked Convert All and the converter went to convert them one by one seemingly launching the utility for each file.
I then launched Manifold 9, created a new MAP file, invoked File - Import, navigated to the folder with all files, set file type to SHP, then selected everything and clicked Import. This imported each SHP as an individual drawing + table, the tables had the same field layout.
Then I created a new map, dropped all drawings into that map, opened it, invoked Edit - Merge - Merge Drawings, and merged everything into a single drawing. Then set the coordinate system of the drawing to lat/lon (the conversion process produced SHP without accompanying PRJ files, so they got imported without a coordinate system, but I left the coordinate system unassigned during the merge as well, so no data was moved during the merge, and I was able to set the coordinate system for everything in the final drawing).