Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Line Labels in M9
dchall8
667 post(s)
#20-Jun-19 20:25

It could be I'm looking for a feature that hasn't been added yet. I have two drawings. One is contour lines with a Feet field, and the other has parcel areas. I created labels for the contour lines on the Feet field with the ultimate intent of selecting a parcel area and zooming in to see the contour lines and labels. In M8 I could get what I wanted by creating a boundary line around the parcel area, splitting the contour lines with the boundary line, and the labels appear at the "centroid" of the contour line inside the area. In M9 the labels seem to appear sporadically, but mostly at the edge of the window as shown here.

I looked for the transform to split the contour lines with lines in the parcels layer and found the Clip transform and some Overlay templates, but I didn't find the combination of adjustments that worked for what I want. When I zoom or pan around the labels appear and disappear. What I expected to see was a label at the center of each line segment and at least somewhere on each closed contour line (as in hill tops or pits).

Am I looking for something that isn't here yet - specifically the ability to split lines in one layer with lines in another layer?

Where should I expect the labels to appear?

Attachments:
M9 Line Labels.jpg

Dimitri

5,620 post(s)
#21-Jun-19 07:35

If many labels are too close to each other they get hidden to avoid conflicts. Seem comments in the Labels topic, including advice to use centroids if you want labels to be positioned in certain ways.

dchall8
667 post(s)
#21-Jun-19 15:45

I thought overlap/interference might be a problem, too, but even zooming in to one line doesn't show the label.

I'll wait for the future enhancements.

Dimitri

5,620 post(s)
#22-Jun-19 07:00

but even zooming in to one line doesn't show the label

That depends if you zoom in to where the label is on the line. Areas currently reposition labels to move into view but lines as yet do not.

For now, there are manual strategies for dealing with such effects. For example, you can create (on the fly, with a query) points at the ends of line segments, of which there could be many in some maps, such as road maps, and put a label on those. I don't always like having my line labels aligned to the line, so that's also a useful way of getting horizontal labels.

tjhb

8,958 post(s)
#22-Jun-19 08:19

Good thinking.

A variation may be to slice up each line into sections of length L, again on the fly via query, and label each section. Length L could easily be adjusted with a VALUE.

Would either approach be helpful in this case?

dchall8
667 post(s)
#24-Jun-19 14:05

I looked for a transform to split the contour lines with lines in the parcels layer and found the Clip transform and some Overlay templates, but I didn't find the combination of adjustments that worked for what I want.

tjhb

8,958 post(s)
#24-Jun-19 21:36

As you said in your first post.

Do you want an SQL alternative?

dchall8
667 post(s)
#26-Jun-19 15:08

I'll wait for the transforms. These specific requests for topo lines are once-a-month things. I can label them in post processing until then. Thanks.

adamw

8,775 post(s)
#21-Jun-19 08:54

You are looking for something that isn't completely here yet, indeed - we are not currently bending label text to follow a line (if the line bends too much and there is no straight segment that would be long enough to fit the label, the label is not painted). This is coming.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2019 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.