Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Can not load LAS Lidar data
BerndD
122 post(s)
#17-Jul-19 19:31

When I am trying to load Lidar data (*.las) into M9 it creates an empty table/drawing.

It looks like the table does have a spatial index already (the help manual indicates one has to build one first).

Attachments:
lidar.png

The Future of Spatial Data // www.drahola.com // www.geocockpitug.de

BerndD
122 post(s)
#17-Jul-19 22:19

This is data from the NC Floodplain Mapping Program.

I tried other las files from USGS and they worked perfectly fine.

tjhb

8,805 post(s)
#17-Jul-19 22:50

Can you show a picture of the table and possibly schema too?

You will have seen this coming, if it arises, just mentioned for completeness: In the datasets I use, some .las files are literally empty.

BerndD
122 post(s)
#18-Jul-19 01:32

That's exactly what I get. A completely empty table.

tjhb

8,805 post(s)
#18-Jul-19 02:27

Yes. But does it have fields, and what is its schema?

atrushwo46 post(s)
#17-Jul-19 23:16

I've had this issue as well. Have had to resort to Global Mapper to open the files.

tonyw
533 post(s)
#17-Jul-19 23:19

Is there any information if you hover over the red exclamation mark at the bottom left corner as shown in your screenshot? Can you download some other LiDAR tiles to see if they also yield empty tables and drawings? Is there a download link you can share?

BerndD
122 post(s)
#18-Jul-19 01:35

There is no information provided when hovering over the exclamation mark.

The download link is https://sdd.nc.gov/sdd/DataDownload.aspx, but you need to register in order to access it.

I will see if I can provide a download link by myself.

tjhb

8,805 post(s)
#18-Jul-19 04:47

There is no information provided when hovering over the exclamation mark.

If there is an exclamation mark, then indexes are likely to be part of the problem. To get information, either press F7, or select View > Messages.

But can you please post a picture of the table, and also of its schema?

BerndD
122 post(s)
#18-Jul-19 13:31

Her is a download link to the lidar data: www.geocockpit3.net/downloadpublic/lidar4Manifold9.zip

Dimitri

5,491 post(s)
#18-Jul-19 15:20

Build 169.4 imports your sample file as a blank table.

I used the online viewer at http://lidarview.comto take a look at it, and that just showed a square bounding box, with no lidar data inside.

I undertook the hassle of registering at the NC site, and downloaded a tile of their lidar data for near Asheville. That, too, imports as an empty table into Manifold. When viewed in the online lidar viewer, that too just shows a bounding box with no lidar points inside.

I'm downloading a couple of LiDAR viewers to try those out on this data. Should have those on hand, anyway. :-)

I'll try also with 169.5 when that comes out, perhaps later today...

BerndD
122 post(s)
#18-Jul-19 16:58

Thanks, Dimitri. That's much appreciated.

This viewer can import it:

https://www.fugro.com/about-fugro/our-expertise/technology/fugroviewer

Dimitri

5,491 post(s)
#19-Jul-19 09:18

The free MARS viewer also shows your sample and the one I downloaded from the NC site.

Downloads:https://www.merrick.com/services/geospatial-services/software/

It's 64-bit and does some multithreading, but it is huge compared to fugro. I like fugro's 3D. On the other hand, fugro is only 32-bit, and I really hate it that without asking fugro seizes the .las file extension as a type Fugro file. Sigh!

I've filed a report on the .las files Manifold will not import but MARS and Fugro do. No doubt that will be a quick fix.

BerndD
122 post(s)
#19-Jul-19 13:04

Thanks for the update.

Looking forward to crunch that data in M9. Need it to detect roofs that qualify the best for solar panels.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2017 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.