Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Organizing 1000+ tables into folders with Oracle MFD_META
rk
345 post(s)
#14-Aug-19 14:47

Connecting to a certain Oracle DBMS brings 1000+ tables into project pane. 600+ are owned by the same user I use for connection. Couple of other users grant access for few hundred more tables each. The remaing odd tables are from ~20 different users.

Manifold has a great way to organize this mess into folders. However, having the current privileges, I can only organize the tables owned by the connecting user. Otherwise I get one of the following errors.

ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

ORA-00972: identifier is too long

ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

I guess Manifold tries to create MFD_META for other schemas(=users) and fails. But what is the 'identifier is too long' error?

Shouldn't SCOTT.MFD_META be able to contain records about HR.* etc. tables also?

Dimitri

5,620 post(s)
#14-Aug-19 19:22

ORA-00972: identifier is too long

That's an Oracle error. I googled it and came up with many hits. Which one of those is relevant and how to avoid it depends on upon the specifics of what you are doing.

adamw

8,776 post(s)
#15-Aug-19 07:49

We'll check what specifically triggers ORA-00972 and ORA-00942 (ORA-01031 seems clear - no permissions to create / write to a table, since we are talking about creating folders and moving components into folders, that table is likely xxx.MFD_META).

SCOTT.MFD_META should only contain metadata for SCOTT.*, metadata for HR.* should go into HR.MFD_META. Otherwise we end up with a situation where, for example, the exact same table has multiple different variants of metadata created during different sessions.

rk
345 post(s)
#15-Aug-19 13:14

Now I understand. Every schema/user has single organization for its tables and other users see the same organization.

I had different connections open and until I granted access to mfd_meta accross users, I did not see other users' folders and thought that each user can organize *all* tables its own way.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2019 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.