Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Vector editing
rk
330 post(s)
#24-Aug-19 10:59

I was just thinking about vector editing tools. I came up with some ideas.

1. Changing existing line or area. I struggle with words. Here is a picture.

Attachments:
Edit_a.png

rk
330 post(s)
#24-Aug-19 11:41

In general, I want my second hand to help me during editing.

* Space for Snap on/off toggle is great.

* Want some key, perhaps alt-space, to cycle through different layers to snap to.

* Want some keybard key to double as Left-click for placing coords.

* freehand mode could be toggled while editing. Would apply from last coord placed. Freehand drawing should not require holding left mouse button down, does in M8.

* M8 has toolbar buttos toggles for 'Create Areas', 'Create Lines', 'Create Points' and six 'Snap to ...'. I haven't used them lately and cannot say which are top priority, but I'm certain that I would want to toggle them while editing and not moving mouse away from drawing.

In general, I cannot predict what tools are most frequently needed for a particular task. Commonality is good but I think there should be way to customize keys.

Aside: In previous job we used Microstation and there the F_ keys are meant for issuing any 'key-in' command. No-one would consider working only with mouse - mostly horrible experience. However, one add-in module didn't have 'key-in' internally defined for a certain command (because it was available only conditionally) that we used most frequently. We went great lengths to bind that command to a key. A VB(A) script that did something like - select the 4th item of that menu in that window.

rk
330 post(s)
#24-Aug-19 12:04

* In M9 169.7 ending a branch requires adding a coord with Shift-LeftClick. But I may be already done and not want to add another coord. Or I may change my mind and want to add to the same branch little more. Could we have a key that teggles 'start new branch'/'continue with previous branch'?

Mike Pelletier

1,618 post(s)
#28-Aug-19 15:58

Good stuff rk. Hoping to see some of this or equivalent in the next release.

KlausDE

6,343 post(s)
#28-Aug-19 21:21

hm, for me the right-click ends input mode without any need to add an additional last coordinate.

And I notice a important improvement as the first and last coordinates of exsitent lines can be deleted now whithout problems.

rk
330 post(s)
#29-Aug-19 06:13

I mean ending a *branch* of a multipart geom.

KlausDE

6,343 post(s)
#29-Aug-19 21:13

Sorry, I didn't read thoroughly. But why a key? Analog to finishing a line you could have a dialog with as many options as you like. Use last point, do not use last point, continue this branch, cancel creating an object ...

rk
330 post(s)
#29-Aug-19 21:38

Because I like to move the mouse as little as possible. It could be dialog, or rather a dropmenu. If it has menu access keys I'm happy. RightClick is ok, menu is good for discoverability, but I do not like to chase menu items with mouse. Menu access keys help a lot.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2017 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.