In general, I want my second hand to help me during editing.
* Space for Snap on/off toggle is great.
* Want some key, perhaps alt-space, to cycle through different layers to snap to.
* Want some keybard key to double as Left-click for placing coords.
* freehand mode could be toggled while editing. Would apply from last coord placed. Freehand drawing should not require holding left mouse button down, does in M8.
* M8 has toolbar buttos toggles for 'Create Areas', 'Create Lines', 'Create Points' and six 'Snap to ...'. I haven't used them lately and cannot say which are top priority, but I'm certain that I would want to toggle them while editing and not moving mouse away from drawing.
In general, I cannot predict what tools are most frequently needed for a particular task. Commonality is good but I think there should be way to customize keys.
Aside: In previous job we used Microstation and there the F_ keys are meant for issuing any 'key-in' command. No-one would consider working only with mouse - mostly horrible experience. However, one add-in module didn't have 'key-in' internally defined for a certain command (because it was available only conditionally) that we used most frequently. We went great lengths to bind that command to a key. A VB(A) script that did something like - select the 4th item of that menu in that window.