Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Observation: v. 9.0.169.8 (13 Sept 2019). Label Move (offset) doesn't seem to be working, labels not moving.
tonyw
736 post(s)
#24-Sep-19 18:26

Hi, In release 9.0.169.8, label offset does not appear to have any effect on label placement. Attached is a test map project with one area and one label. Even with the offset set to 5000, the label still remains in the default location. I'm pretty sure in previous releases I just entered in an offset (and angle) and the labels moved. I have clicked on Update Style too. Screenshot attached too showing my observation.

Is Contents > Style Label > More > Symbol > Move > Angle/offset working for others in 9.0.169.8?

Thanks.

Attachments:
Label hasn't moved.JPG
v. 9.0.169.8 labels not moving.map

oeaulong

521 post(s)
#24-Sep-19 20:32

As I understand it, the labels auto place for Areas and Lines. There was a discussion on this from a build in July. http://www.georeference.org/forum/t148346

Here is a link to the Manifold Sales youtube channel regarding this topic / discussion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qGn3BBLw18

It goes through the current process of custom area label adjustment.

I believe the short story is that the move of angle and offset occur for point versions of the labels. So following the video and creating the second geom of point locations driving the labels then your move option will work. I would hesitate when doing so to use the value of 5000 as that seems excessive distance in display points(1pt = 1/72") something like 69" offset clearly off screen.

I haven't fully worked through labels re: lines and areas, but think that this topic is a "work in progress" that will be difficult to wrap up with a bow. Labels complicate things for display and I am sure that when they roll through the developers back log again that there will be more refinements. Hope that this helps.

One other thing, avoid single quotation marks in the filenames uploaded. The file gets parsed there on download and has to be manually renamed with the appropriate extension to open.

tonyw
736 post(s)
#24-Sep-19 22:09

Thanks, that rings a bell. Sometimes is a month or 6 weeks between using Manifold. It was probably July when I last labelled anything. I do remember now I copied the geometry into a new field in the table and turned the areas into centroids (points) then made another drawing from the points from which I made labels, then I could move the labels. It's coming back now.

I used 5,000 points because 5, 10, 15, 25, 50 did nothing so i tried something extreme to see if I could get the label to move, if it moved out of view then I would know MOVE was working.

I needed to get the map product out this morning so I ended up copying a screenshot of my map, pasting into a drawing program and putting my labels on that way for now. The issue was the label placement in M9 was obscuring the areas underneath. However I broke my rule of never re-typing anything that is already in the computer because, especially with place names in another language, there is huge chance of making a typographical error. Retyped some names, copy and pasted the complicated names.

OK, good point re: not using single quotes or any symbols.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.