Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - M9 - Dual Screens - Temporary Freeze
atrushwo108 post(s)
#25-Sep-19 15:34

Hey Everyone,

I've run into an issue (or an annoyance) with Manifold 9. I'll open a file I've been working on (~5GB) and it opens immediately. However, I then drag the file to my other screen (I have dual monitors) and my entire computer freezes/locks-up for ~5 seconds. It happens with the latest cutting edge build and the most recent full release. I'm not using the viewer.

Others in my office have experienced the same issue, so I don't believe it to be a problem with my computer. I've attached my computer's specifications regardless though.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Attachments:
Capture.JPG

dchall8
1,008 post(s)
#25-Sep-19 22:51

I get that, too. For me it's longer than 5 seconds. Opening the program is quick, but loading a 13 GB file locks it up for awhile. I'm guessing 20 seconds??? I consider 13 GB to be a large file, but I get the same or longer delay on 1 GB files which have already been saved in M9 format. The smaller file has just over 500 drawings, tables, labels, maps, layouts, and the rare image, and rarer query. The large file has 10 drawings and tables with one for DEM composite file and one or two with contour lines for about 1/3 of the county.

We're starting to lease computers. This one is 5 years old and first on the list for replacement at the change of the fiscal year. It has an Intel i7-4770 CPU and 16 gig of RAM on a spinny HD. Everyone in the office works at a general secretarial degree of difficulty, so the leasing guy seems to be excited about doing a work station for me. We've talked about the NVIDIA GPU, 32 gig of RAM and a TB SSD. He's favoring an AMD CPU.

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#26-Sep-19 08:02

This issue seems to be different from the one in the first post. When you switch between files that take longer than a couple of seconds to be read in full, we are going to spend some time pre-fetching some of the data into cache in the background. If the memory is heavily competed for, eg, if the applications that are running are using sizeable amounts of it (with 16 GB of RAM, Chrome and web browsers in general qualify for "sizeable", particularly if you keep multiple tabs opened, like many people do - browsers got so aggressive and are pre-allocating so much these days that they are frequently on the performance radar even for systems with 16-24-32 GB of RAM). There's little you can do about it on your side besides adding more RAM or reducing competition for RAM by closing some of the always-running applications if you have them. That's something for us to optimize - we are considering some optimizations for the future.

dchall8
1,008 post(s)
#26-Sep-19 15:00

I mentioned it only to add to the discussion. I have adapted to my situation, which is to say mine is not a complaint; only an observation. It only happens at the opening. I can suffer through a few seconds of delay for the reward of a program which is blazing fast. After all, I use Windows.

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#26-Sep-19 07:47

If the temporary freeze is observed when you are dragging windows between the monitors, that's probably related to the graphics driver. Try setting Graphics in Tools - Options to Reduced, and dragging then - if dragging with Reduced graphics won't freeze, but dragging with Normal graphics will, that's certainly related to the graphics driver. Try updating the driver to the latest version, or, if you are already running the latest version, either wait for a newer version or read the errata and try rolling back to one of the previous versions.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.