Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Georeferenced PDFs (yet again)
orerockon

386 post(s)
#08-Nov-19 20:39

I'm wondering if any progress has been made on this front since the last post in 2015 http://www.georeference.org/forum/t128598.20#128605

In a nutshell my topo mapping software has been discontinued so getting new georeferenced USGS 7.5' topo maps from them isn't possible. So I'm stuck with trying to use another method, which according to the above post is a PITA. Exporting to tiff with Acrobat (I can't figure out how to save any one layer or even only visible layers, in a new PDF) does work but doesn't produce a registered image, and I'd have to register a couple 1000 of them. And I'd be stuck with the layers I had turned on when I export it, which makes it kinda pointless from my POV, if I wanted 10 layers to toggle I'd be registering 10 copies of every map. The only bright spot is that they seem to register perfectly with the USGS 7.5' grids.

Rakau79 post(s)
#08-Nov-19 21:54

Have you tried Canvas 2020 X GIS?

They have a free trial fully working. I have not tried your problem specifically but been impressed with other GIS capabilities.

adamw

8,750 post(s)
#12-Nov-19 11:32

Exporting to tiff with Acrobat (I can't figure out how to save any one layer or even only visible layers, in a new PDF) does work but doesn't produce a registered image, and I'd have to register a couple 1000 of them.

Why not export to TIFF from 9? That should produce a registered image.

Or is it that you don't have an image, just a vector drawing and you are first printing it to PDF and then re-exporting to TIFF using Acrobat and want to have a coordinate system? (If so, maybe it would make more sense to have a tool to "print" data into an image, or maybe "print" into TIFF directly.)

dchall8
662 post(s)
#12-Nov-19 21:58

Maybe I don't understand the problem.

I went to USGS to get a 7.5 minute topo of an area I'm familiar with. I downloaded a GEOTiff from Feb 2019 and imported the Tiff into M9. I added a Google Satellite background and checked registration. It seems to check out. When I hover over the corner of the map that indicates -99.0000 degrees and 29.75 degrees, Manifold shows the same values to the same number of decimals.

So starting with a registered GeoTiff, Manifold 9 can read it and it seems to be registered inside Manifold. Assuming you are getting to the same point, what are you wanting to do that you cannot?

Attachments:
USGS 7.5' Topo Pipe Creek Quad.jpg

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2019 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.