Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Help needed with deliniating watershed in Manifold 9
sapa399912 post(s)
#11-Nov-19 16:02

Hi,

I take it that Manifold 9 does not have as many packed tools as manifold 8, and I am having trouble working my way around in Manifold 9, with delineating watersheds, and creating streams, filling sinks etc. It seems I need to create watershed objects first, before I can begin any of the processing. How do I create watershed objects?

Any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sapa

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#11-Nov-19 17:20

See Transform: Watersheds

sapa399912 post(s)
#12-Nov-19 22:09

My Manifold 9 does not have options for watersheds as shown in the Manifold 9 documentation. I don't see any other functions after "Truncate to decimals", and attachment - "Manifold 9" is what I see when I have a raster open. Not sure What I am missing here.

Thanks,

Attachments:
eg_transform_watersheds01_09.png
Manifold 9.jpg

oeaulong

521 post(s)
#12-Nov-19 23:08

Update to the most current version of manifold. Released in past day. Stay updated with newer point releases, the Mfd9 functions change rapidly and sometimes in large chunks with the updates. Watersheds was one of these areas earlier this year.

sapa399912 post(s)
#13-Nov-19 12:26

Checked the latest version, but only see 3 tools in there. no watershed tools in transform>tile.

Thanks,

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#13-Nov-19 13:51

The Transform Template - Tile topic says to please see the Transform Template - Images topic.

More useful would be a careful reading of the Transform: Watersheds topic, drilling into the more detailed watersheds topics and examples it recommends. Lots of good info and illustrated, step-by-step examples in those, to help you get a running start.

sapa399912 post(s)
#15-Nov-19 11:28

I am using the latest version of manifold edge viewer.still don't see a lot of functions.Only see three, as shown in the attached! Sorry, but not sure what is missing!

Attachments:
maryland lidar_1.jpg
maryland lidar_2.jpg
maryland lidar_3.jpg

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#15-Nov-19 12:27

Ah, I see the problem: it is there in your third image. Apparently, you've not clicked the "Buy Manifold 9" button. :-)

OK. Sorry for the dumb joke. It's not that. The answer is in the Transform: Watersheds topic:

Watershed templates appear in the Transformpane when the focus is on an imagethat has a single channel,

The Maryland lidar image you are using is not a single channel image. It is an RGBA image, with four channels. Why it is served that way by the Commonwealth of Maryland is a question for them.

You could create a single-channel image from that RGBA image on the fly, created from a query using SQL and pulling a single channel out of an RGBA image using techniques similar to those shown in the various matrix filter topics and then you could do watersheds on that dynamically-created image. That works in Viewer as well.

sapa399912 post(s)
#18-Nov-19 17:00

Thanks a lot. It is working for me now. I do have a version of manifold 9 on my office computer, but it is not the latest. Have to get it updated.

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#15-Nov-19 13:04

That the image is multi-channel is shown in the first screen, yes. You can use the Channel transform to extract one of the channels into a separate image and run watersheds on that.

That is: select the Channel transform shown on your first screen, leave the Channel parameter at 0, press Add Component at the bottom of the Transform pane, switch to the Project pane, open the created image, use the Style pane to set up formatting if you have trouble seeing the data (switch to the Style pane, the image should be using the single channel for all of R, G, B, select these R, G and B in the list of channels by Ctrl-clicking, then right-click the selected channels and select Full Range in the context menu), you should now be able to use the watershed transforms.

One caveat: extracting channel 0 is just a guess, your original image can be just a picture showing heights without actual height data, you should consult what the image really contains.

sapa399912 post(s)
#18-Nov-19 17:06

Thanks for your help. Is there a way to know what the elevations are by hovering the cursor over the surface. MAnifold 8 had that functionality. Is it not there in 9?

Thanks,

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#19-Nov-19 07:00

You cannot see pixel heights in the status bar, but you can see them in the Record pane - Alt-click the pixel you want to see to put its tile into the Record pane, then click the pixel again to scroll to its value (then click other pixels to see their values; when you want to switch to a different tile, Alt-click it, etc).

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#12-Nov-19 06:46

I take it that Manifold 9 does not have as many packed tools as manifold 8

Forgot to mention... 9 I think at this point has more tools than 8. They are just provided as commands within non-modal panes, many of which commands have numerous options that within 8 might have been separate commands.

sapa399912 post(s)
#13-Nov-19 23:37

Seems like I don't have the surface tools extension for manifold 9 whihc is why I am not seeing any of the tools discussed here. Do I have to purchase it? how do I add this extensions to manifold 9?

tjhb
10,094 post(s)
#14-Nov-19 00:05

There is no Surface Tools extension for Manifold 9. Everything is built in.

Go to Help > About in Manifold 9, and report the build number in the second line. What do you see here?

If it is not 9.0.169.10, then you are not using the latest build.

For any watershed functions, you must use at least build 9.0.169.2, and you definitely should use at least 9.0.169.6 but preferably the current build, 9.0.169.10.

My guess is that you may have misunderstood how to download and/or access the Cutting Edge builds. That would be simple to solve.

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#14-Nov-19 06:58

why I am not seeing any of the tools discussed here.

Most likely, one of two reasons:

1. As Tim writes, you don't have a recent version.

2. You're not following the instructions, or missing something in them.

Item 1 above is really an example of 2, since one of the first few items in the first topic, Read Me First, is

Always run the latest version of Release 9 or Viewer.Don't be scared of using Cutting Edge builds. Run those.

If you would tell us more about what you are doing, such as whether you are using the Transform pane, what you are working on (Image? Drawing? Map... with what layers?) we could help. For example, if you are working with a map and the active layer is a drawing, the Transform pane shows commands relevant to drawings, not to images.

Attachments:
ico_nb_arrow_blue.png

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#14-Nov-19 08:37

The latest version of 9 is always shown in the top right of the forum home page:

9.0.169 is the latest public build.

9.0.169.10 is the latest cutting edge build, which is currently the latest available version. (For a discussion of the difference between types of builds, see Help - Changes and Additions.)

You can also see the latest version of 9 on the Product Downloads page (scroll down to the download buttons).

Attachments:
manifold-versions.png

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.