Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Euclidean Allocation
atrushwo58 post(s)
#29-Nov-19 15:26

Hey Everyone,

Does Manifold 8 or 9 have the ability to create an Euclidean Allocation raster? ESRI has a function available as part of its spatial analyst extension documented at the link below. Ideally, I would be able to do it in Manifold (8 or 9).

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/tools/spatial-analyst-toolbox/euclidean-allocation.htm

My client wants to buffer a pipe network 45m and assign the buffered areas back to the pipes without overlaps on the buffers. They have expressed dissatisfaction with my Voronoi style split (courtesy of an old thread by Tim). They do not like the results for parallel pipes within 90m, nor do they like how one pipe's obvious buffer could be assigned to another. I am hoping that I can trace areas by pipe ID from the Euclidean Allocation raster for a better representation. This is a small small sample of my overall area, thus I would prefer an efficient (not manual) solution.

http://www.georeference.org/forum/t123461.17#123532

Thanks in advance!

Attachments:
M8_SplitVoronoi.map

danb

1,725 post(s)
#29-Nov-19 18:22

Unfortunately, I don't have a solution for you, but I would like to echo that there are some extremely useful tools in ESRI's distance tool set which I would love to see built in to M9's grid armory.

Grid dimension and processing speed have always been limiting factors when used within ArcMap. M9's grid infrastructure on the other hand could really breathe life into the utility of such a toolset.

Landsystems Ltd ... Know your land | www.landsystems.co.nz

oeaulong

235 post(s)
#29-Nov-19 20:59

They do not like the results for parallel pipes within 90m, nor do they like how one pipe's obvious buffer could be assigned to another.

I think you had the right intuition with the voronoi. The problem as they flagged it, was that you relied on a single centroid per line segment. This made the boundary grossly jagged between parallel lines and converging segments.

I did a quick test where I took your lines and ran a Segments=5 through the transform bar, followed by creating resulting points from the lines. Then assigning the lines.ID to a LineID field in the separated points layer, I re-ran a voronoi diagram with much finer grained results that may have appealed to your clients. I am not saying this is perfect as there may be questions with endpoints that I didn't address, but it *should* give an evolving answer to either narrowing or rejecting your approach to solution.

By using a raster and determining distance from each pixel to the closest line segment you would be achieving something similar. It is still only as precise as the raster cell size, but achievable both in Mfd vers. 8 & 9. The vectored avenue allows for more data to associate with an area than a pixel cell value.

Attached is a modified version of your file. I left the slices of voronoi area in place, rather than dissolving them by LineID to show the work.

<internet failed me at this point and will probably post later, hopefully with no duplicate messages.>

Attachments:
M8_SplitVoronoi_refinedVoronoi.map

atrushwo58 post(s)
#30-Nov-19 21:25

This workaround actually works really well. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I had tunnel vision on this ESRI function. I'll likely pitch this next time and see if I get a better reaction from my client. I would definitely still be interested in seeing some of the distance functions adapted to Manifold 9 like Dan suggested too!

oeaulong

235 post(s)
#30-Nov-19 23:29

So, keep in mind that segments divides each line into that many segments. Short lines get points very close together, etc. Play with that to help find what might work the best with your data.

atrushwo58 post(s)
#02-Dec-19 15:14

Yeah, I tried it over the weekend here. Split every line at a 5m increment keeping the starts and ends. The result was close but, like you said, I think I'll have to play around with a few areas to get what I want. Really appreciate the suggestion!

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2019 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.