Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Garmin 64c not recognized by Manifold 9
Blueskin2 post(s)
#05-Dec-19 03:47

We are trying to work out why when a Garmin64c is not recognized in Manifold 9.

We have tried a few things and checks but wondered if there was a very particular issue with Garmin which might shortcut to the problem, cheers

Forest
625 post(s)
#05-Dec-19 06:02

I don't connect with garmins directly anymore. I just put gpx files into them and take gpx files out of them using file manager. If you have issues, try a mobile mapping application on your mobile phone. iGIS is for iOS and Geopaparazzi for android. Backcountry Navigator Pro is the closest app in terms of user interface and functionality to a Garmin. There are better ways than connecting with a garmin that using the old serial interface. If your needs are more specific, don't hesitate to ask if they can be done.

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#05-Dec-19 11:08

We are trying to work out why when a Garmin64c is not recognized in Manifold 9.

Not sure what you mean by the above. What is the dialog you are using that you expect to recognize the Garmin64c?

Blueskin2 post(s)
#05-Dec-19 20:26

Thank you for reply, i realised i have made a mistake its Manifold 8... just loaded on to pc

We are a shellfish company using mapping as a harvest management tool. We had been using Fugawi but now committed to Manifold for its other capabilities.

Our pc recognises the Garmin 64c is connected but Manaiifold 8 does not!

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#06-Dec-19 06:54

Our pc recognises the Garmin 64c is connected

What software are you using that you say your computer recognizes the Garmin? For issues like this, you have to describe everything... version of windows, how you are connecting, whether you've loaded other applications, etc., etc.

I don't know about the Garmin 64c, but with other Garmin units I've sometimes had to tinker extensively, for example, installing Garmin software of different kinds, tinkering with settings within the Garmin's setup menus/options, etc. It might be easier to just use Garmin or other software to grab data off the Garmin and save it to a CSV file, etc.

ColinD

2,081 post(s)
#06-Dec-19 09:49

I use a 60csx with no trouble whatsoever connecting through GPS Console, no tinkering needed. The 64c doesn't look too different, so exactly how are you trying to connect?

Aussie Nature Shots

drtees
203 post(s)
#06-Dec-19 17:28

We use Garmin units in our office. I have had issues with M8 connecting to the Garmin through USB. As I recall, there is a special Garmin USB driver that needs to be installed on your computer. The issue we have seen is that sometimes M8 recognizes that the Garmin is connected and sometimes not. I have not had time to narrow down the issue, but the work around solution has been to disconnect and reconnect the Garmin, close M8 and open it again, rebooting the computer, and various permutations of the order of these steps. Eventually, M8 recognizes that the Garmin is attached. I suspect that the Garmin USB driver may be the issue.

jsperr
143 post(s)
#07-Dec-19 13:08

Are you in NMEA mode and working with a 9 pin serial port or do you have the USB cable?

Try the Garmin Spanner software download and Spanner Transfer Mode for USB connections. I seem to remember that worked with my Etrex units and a $5 serial emulator cable on my laptop using COM Port 3.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/gpsmap64/EN-US/GUID-603F130C-281A-4045-8E5C-59A0D830CF80.html

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.