Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Latest M9 Build
Ian
268 post(s)
#10-Feb-20 02:48

I have updated my M9 to the latest version but I can't import any imagery into it. I can open existing projects and some text data that accompanies some JP2 image files but not the images. I have deleted and re-downloaded the M9 files but still getting the same result??

tonyw
736 post(s)
#10-Feb-20 04:43

Hi Ian,

I took a screen shot of your post, saved as an image and successfully imported the JPEG into M9. v9.0.170.4 (latest as of Feb 7, 2020). See attached. I'll attach the jpeg of the screen shot too. Doing File > Import > worked for me.

Attachments:
Import image.JPG
M9 v.9.0.170.4 import image example.map

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#10-Feb-20 06:53

I can't import any imagery into it

How do you do try to do that, step by step? What file do you try to import, what dialog are you using, etc.

I can open existing projects and some text data that accompanies some JP2 image files but not the images.

Where did the existing projects come from? Did you create them? Do they have images imported or linked?

re-downloaded the M9 files

"Redownloaded?" Where did they come from? Can you provide a link? Could it be the projects include links to other data sources, such as JP2 images files, which either were not also downloaded or were placed in a different location?

tjhb
10,094 post(s)
#10-Feb-20 07:24

And for that matter,

I have updated my M9 to the latest version

Which version, and how did you update it?

Ian
268 post(s)
#10-Feb-20 21:28

I downloaded from the cutting edge forum link and have version 170.4. I was trying to import some JP2 files that are stored on my computer and that I have been using in an M8 project. To do that I do:

File/import/browse to files/highlight them - have tried highlighting all of the files as well as choosing JP2 from file type option the highlighting/import

Nothing happens. I have tried with another image file stored on my computer and this works.

The project I have opened are my own projects stored on my computer.

tjhb
10,094 post(s)
#10-Feb-20 21:30

Ian
268 post(s)
#11-Feb-20 01:09

I was able to link the image files to the project but when I double click on them to open them i get - Unspecified MrSid error:1

tjhb
10,094 post(s)
#11-Feb-20 01:31

You are only very barely giving us step-by-step instructions Ian (really hardly at all), and no source data, but...

Perhaps the file is not in the JP2 format you expected then?

Step back through that file's history, one step at a time, through all your notes, to the point where you first encountered it.

(If you don't have notes, just throw your hands in the air, since nothing else is likely to work.)

Ian
268 post(s)
#11-Feb-20 01:54

The files were originally downloaded from LINZ and stored on my computer, also to dropbox (where they still are). I have imported them into M8 and I'm using them in a project there with no issues. I downloaded them as JP2 and that is what they are listed as on my computer. To import them I do what I have stated above either opening an existing project or starting with a new empty project; File<Import<browse to and select files (either all of the files or by choosing JP2 from the drop down then selecting all of the JP2 present<import< nothing happens.

Exact same process with linking the files; File<link<browse to and select files<import. They import but I get the error message above. There are no other steps

tjhb
10,094 post(s)
#11-Feb-20 03:08

The files were originally downloaded from LINZ...

Great, so this is fully public data. LINZ does supply imagery in both JPEG2000 and JPEG2000 lossless formats (as well as others).

Can you give a link to LINZ sample data that you know behaves in this way? You will have to download it again yourself to test.

That would be progress.

• Do
  • one
  • thing
  • at a
  • time
  • and list each thing
  • exactly
  • with a pen.

Then type the same list here, every trivial step, from the very start (the download).

That is what is needed if anyone is to help.

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#11-Feb-20 06:59

To import them I do what I have stated above either opening an existing project or starting with a new empty project; File<Import<browse to and select files (either all of the files or by choosing JP2 from the drop down then selecting all of the JP2 present<import< nothing happens.

OK. Do you press the "import" button after highlighting them? This may sound absurd to ask, but when tracking down which detail is the issue, literally every detail has to be mentioned.

Also, where is the focus in the project when you do this? Is the focus on a read/write portion of the project, or are you within a read-only data source (which will not allow any imports)?

Here's what I do, the absolute most simple procedure (add variations when you have the procedure below working):

1. Launch Manifold. It opens with a new, blank project.

2. Choose File - Import.

3. In the Import dialog, navigate to where I have my .jp2 file.

4. I double-click the .jp2 file I want to import. I don't double-click anything else, just that one file that ends in a .jp2 three letter extension.

It imports fine.

Note that some older .jp2 files have the wrong channels assigned (that's an error in the file, not in Manifold), so sometimes you have to use the Style dialog to switch channel ordering from BGR to RGB.

Ah... one last thing:

If you get but when I double click on them to open them i get - Unspecified MrSid error:1 when linking a file, that same file won't import at all since the MrSID code cannot read it. That usually indicates:

a. The file is not a .jp2, despite having that extension.

b. The file is a .jp2 variation the JPEG2000 driver (which is third party) doesn't understand. Can happen when people modify a .jp2 with third party software that writes the modified version in some weird variation.

c. There is an installation on your computer of some other software that uses a different JPEG2000 driver which is ahead in the PATH and thus is conflicting with what Manifold is trying to use. (I don't think this is it, just guessing out loud).

See notes in theJPEG2000 topic on the SDK used, as well as the link to ECW in that topic.

Whoops! I see adamw has likely identified the issue.

adamw

10,447 post(s)
#11-Feb-20 06:59

I was able to link the image files to the project but when I double click on them to open them i get - Unspecified MrSid error:1

If I understand you correctly, the JP2 files that used to import fine into 9 no longer import into 9.0.170.4 (but still import into 8).

If so, this might be related to the installation requirements not being completely fulfilled. The last public build, 9.0.170 uses the new VC Runtime - and, more importantly, previous runtimes have a bug which breaks compatibility with modules built against the new runtime. The MSI / EXE packages include the new runtime, but if you didn't install them and only installed the portable ZIP, you didn't get it.

Long story short, try installing the latest version of the runtime from here (install x86 and x64 versions, and close Manifold first):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

...and see if this will fix the issue.

Ian
268 post(s)
#13-Feb-20 21:17

Thanks Adam, installed latest runtime, problem solved. Appreciate everyone's help

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.