Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Requests for new translations?
Dimitri

5,892 post(s)
#25-Mar-20 09:06

Manifold's outreach effort to encourage more localizations is making good progress, with comprehensive localizations already done for Bengali, Estonian, Filipino, French, German, Hindi, Mandarin Chinese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and Turkish. Whew!

By way of look-ahead, other localization projects underway include Arabic and Japanese. Malay is on the wish list but so far, no progress to report.

Are there any other languages of special interest to folks in this forum? Italian? Korean, maybe? Polish? Vietnamese?

One objective, by the way, is to support wider, philanthropic use of the free Viewer, supporting NGOs (non-profits) and other users in countries where there is a great need to at least be able to view spatial data, and large amounts of it.

artlembo

3,120 post(s)
#26-Mar-20 00:24

I know a bunch of students who are locked down here due to COVID-19, and as native speakers of some of these languages perhaps I could entice them to do it for an independent study - I'm sure they'd learn a lot just going through the translations.

How much time do estimate that an individual localization requires? And, do you think Manifold might provide them with a complimentary license for their troubles?

Dimitri

5,892 post(s)
#26-Mar-20 03:11

How much time do estimate that an individual localization requires?

That depends on the skills and background of the translator. When Manifold reaches out to universities to encourage a localization they sometimes suggest a student from a linguistics or translation curriculum. That's a mistake, because the translation is not literary, like translating a book, but is about translating computer tech words.

A good translator is a native-speaking computer science person with programming, good DBMS and (ideally) GIS background or CAD who knows computer jargon in the target language. They should know how to do search and replace for strings like <value> without inadvertently replacing Value in the name of tags. :-)

There are about 2700 lines in recent default.ui.txt files but there are many repetitions, so it goes quickly. Somebody who knows computer jargon / DBMS / GIS or CAD will usually take one long day to get most of it done, and then another, shorter day to proof read, ask questions about what should or should not be translated, etc.

Guidelines for translators are in the Localization topic.

do you think Manifold might provide them with a complimentary license for their troubles?

Sure! If an educational institution agrees to sponsor a translation, that is, to keep it updated from time to time for new builds, Manifold will donate some licenses to the university as well.

Sloots

462 post(s)
#30-Mar-20 20:46

Despite the fact that most dutch users have no problem using the english version, I started with the translation today. Dutch is the 56 largest language (approximately 21 million speakers).

I must say it is time consuming, buy also rather addictive. As soon as I'm done I will post the file.

Chris

http://www.mppng.nl/manifold/pointlabeler

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2019 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.