Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Unable to open Google satellite data and can only see 50,000 records in table
gkbhat90 post(s)
#14-May-20 08:20

1. I am able to see bing street maps and Open street maps data. Unfortunately I am not able to open google street V2, Satellite v2 as well as google streets (transparent). All other external data sources shows on M9. Can anyone please help?

2. I merged several India village drawings from all states of India. It has a total of 627,199 polygons. It merges well and I can see full India map with all polygons. However, on viewing the table, it shows only 50,000 Records. I can export all records(627,199) to csv without any problem, but I can't view the records. Can anyone please help?

Thanks in advance,

Bhat

Attachments:
50,000 records.jpg

Dimitri

5,993 post(s)
#14-May-20 08:33

Regarding part 1: Google has probably blocked you because you were using the V2 servers too much without an API key. Use the original version Google imageservers (not v2).... Google is more generous with those. Or, read the terms and conditions of Google's use for their products and buy an API key. They are said to be cheap.

Regarding part 2:

a. Read the Tables topic. Don't miss the discussion of big tables and how to see more past the first 50,000 records.

b. Read the Table Windows and Big Data essay.

The essay is useful to understand why an interactive table window is not the right UI for over half a million unordered records. None of the big enterprise DBMSs (Oracle, etc) use an interactive table window that way.

gkbhat90 post(s)
#14-May-20 11:44

1. I have Google API key, but still unable to view V2 google satellite and street maps. Normal google street and satellite is viewable.

2. Read the table and big data topic. It is quite sensible to show only part of big table.

I used Ctrl+F to find records beyond 50000, but could not see beyond 50000 records. However when right click on record value of mfd_id column, add filter and choose>50000, it works and exhibits another 50k records. Ctrl+F cannot be used for range outside the data being exhibited?

Also, the manual in Table says" Important:To see the total number of records in a table, open the table and in the Contentspane click on the Component pane." But What I get is shown in file below. However, if I open component of the drawing I can see total number of records.

Attachments:
addfilter.jpg
Ctrl_F.jpg
Google apikey.jpg
Table component.jpg

Dimitri

5,993 post(s)
#14-May-20 12:17

1. I have Google API key, but still unable to view V2 google satellite and street maps. Normal google street and satellite is viewable.

Could it be you're not using the API key correctly? You don't show your Web Login dialog. See the File - Create - New Data Source topic.

Also, that you have an API key doesn't mean that you're not being blocked by Google. For example, if Google wants to charge you money and your credit card doesn't pay up, that key won't work. If Google thinks you weren't using that API in accordance with whatever terms applied when they issued it to you, they might also block it. Stuff like that is a question for Google.

However when right click on record value of mfd_id column, add filter and choose>50000, it works and exhibits another 50k records.

Easier to click the placeholder.

The fill record placeholder

You can just click the placeholder to see the next 50K. That's easier. See the Tables topic.

Ctrl+F cannot be used for range outside the data being exhibited?

Correct. It's an interactive command that works on what you can see in the table.

When working with large tables it's a good idea to break the habits that work well for small tables but which don't work efficiently for big tables. The general rule with big tables is to use queries, or at least the command window.

But What I get is shown in file below.

Just guessing, since I don't know your data or your workflow: Try refreshing the table, like closing it and opening it, since after the merge it might not yet have been updated.

adamw

9,135 post(s)
#14-May-20 12:43

Er, one cannot currently click the fill record placeholder to show the next 50,000 records - that's one of the features that we are considering for the future, but it is not yet in the product.

To gkbhat:

Regarding the table not showing the number of records in the Component pane - it is unclear what is going on without seeing the data. Some tables do not know how many records they contain, but that mostly applies to queries and to tables on data sources other than MAP file.

Regarding Google, what's in the log window?

Dimitri

5,993 post(s)
#14-May-20 15:09

Er, one cannot currently click the fill record placeholder to show the next 50,000 records - that's one of the features that we are considering for the future, but it is not yet in the product.

Oops! My bad. Sorry!

gkbhat90 post(s)
#14-May-20 15:50

I spent some time to see what is wrong with placeholder, then saw your mail. Okay, I will wait to see it come through soon.

Regards,

Bhat

gkbhat90 post(s)
#14-May-20 13:20

2020-05-14 17:57:51 *** (root)::[Data Source]::[Google Maps v2 Satellite] (Download tile) The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.

2020-05-14 17:57:51 Render: [Data Source]::[Google Maps v2 Satellite Image] (0.257 sec)

Google side.

Attachments:
placeholder.jpg

adamw

9,135 post(s)
#14-May-20 15:57

Well, HTTP 403 Forbidden means that the server does not want to return the data - check if your API key is still valid / that you are entering it correctly.

gkbhat90 post(s)
#15-May-20 07:49

Sorted out. There is no difference in quality of images in google satellite and v2 variants. Only difference is the emblem of google in V2, which is not there in normal google satellite. Probably V2 does not have any additional coverage of high resolution images for India.

Attachments:
google v2.jpg

gkbhat90 post(s)
#15-May-20 08:04

Thanks to Adam and Dimitri for the help.

Mike Pelletier

1,727 post(s)
#21-May-20 22:46

After enabling the "maps static api" in Google's website, I was able to get google satellite V2 to work. However, I was hoping this would show the same images as are available in Google Earth since for our area these are considerably newer than google maps satellite. What I got is what gkbhat described. Same older image with google emblems over the image.

Any thoughts or other things to try?

Dimitri

5,993 post(s)
#22-May-20 06:19

That's a Google issue, since it's up to Google what they choose to provide in their various products. If they provide more recent imagery in Earth than they do in their API, it could be that Google wants to promote that product over their API products. Or, it could just be that the Google team managing Earth works at a faster pace than the API team.

It could also be that Google may offer more recent imagery if you buy a different API key: pay more, get better product. In any event, it's a question for Google about Google products. There might also be Google forums where people discuss such things.

adamw

9,135 post(s)
#22-May-20 09:36

The relation between satellite images in Google Earth and Google Maps is unclear to me. I vaguely remember statements from the past that Google Earth and Google Maps use (or will use?) the same data, etc, but there were also statements that Google Earth uses more detailed imagery, and I wouldn't be surprised if even the same-resolution imagery was different.

Searching the Google forums didn't yield anything conclusive either - here's a typical response: "Although both Maps and Earth generally have the same imagery, sometimes it is different", not terribly helpful.

gkbhat90 post(s)
#22-May-20 17:36

I checked up the Powell dam area of Colorado. It shows very high resolution images where I can make out ov overhead high tension cables and electricity pylons clearly. It means that they have 10 to 20cm level images in some parts of the world, while it is of lower resolution in other parts.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2019 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.