Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Applying Styles in M9 vs M8
drtees92 post(s)
#01-Jul-20 23:44

Ran into something interesting with the latest version of Manifold 9 (9.0.172.3). I am trying to create a new map that will show all of my firm's project sites with the goal of getting others in the office to quickly find if we have worked in an area or on a parcel previously using the Viewer. I downloaded city GIS boundaries from the Washington State Open Data Portal. These data imported into M9 without a problem. The issue came about when trying to apply a style based on the city's name. Not all of the cities in the database show up when applying a style. Out of over 500 cities in the database, M9 only shows a maximum of 100 no matter how large a number I use for the tally. I got around the problem by opening the database in M8, applying a style to the layer, saving the M8 .map file, then importing it back into M9 from the M8 .map file. I have attached a zip file containing the data I used.

I would like to know if there is a missing step in my methodology for applying styles in M9.

Attachments:
Washington State Cities.zip

Dimitri

6,104 post(s)
#02-Jul-20 05:57

You don't say precisely what you're doing (what field you use for thematic formatting, or the method, etc. used), so I'll guess.

The issue came about when trying to apply a style based on the city's name. Not all of the cities in the database show up when applying a style.

I suppose you are doing a thematic format using the CITY_NM field. Looks like over half of the records have no name (NULL value), so that's possibly an issue. Also, if you are using the CITY_NM field that is a text field and your only choice for a method is unique values, which allows you up to 100 breaks.

Why only 100 breaks for unique values? The purpose of thematic formatting is to provide a visual way of understanding differences. Humans get confused long before 100 different shades of color are used, and cannot tell which of various points or areas in nearly identical shades, scattered about in a map, are different.

Use a different method of grouping and coloring if different shades are desired for many different objects. For example, add a pseudorandom field (see the Computed Fields topic) and color on that, as done below:

Attachments:
waecy.png

drtees92 post(s)
#02-Jul-20 18:36

Thank you Dimitri. I will give that a try.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2019 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.