Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Shear trnasform not supported
lionel

648 post(s)
#02-Jul-20 02:39

I have a look to my old transform post about matrix ( it seem i can't edit it again )

Does it make sense for manifold 9 to support shear transform ?

perhaps already exist under another term words ?

i think thoses transformation are done refer to center of each geom ( which center should be take in account for each geom , rotatation seem inner ) !

I ll redo test to understand some transform function ....

thank's

regard's

Dimitri

6,104 post(s)
#02-Jul-20 06:05

Does it make sense for manifold 9 to support shear transform ?

What is a real life example where someone would need a shear transform?

lionel

648 post(s)
#02-Jul-20 06:34

i really don't know it is an open question ( manifold implement /use i think some matrix during transfom). i was thinking during writing of a kind of georegistration "deformation(fr) " apply for so for whole drawing or raster not for each geom/tile focus alone or for artistic design when use repeat motif .

Dimitri

6,104 post(s)
#02-Jul-20 08:28

If there aren't any real life uses for this, then I don't think it makes sense for Manifold to add it.

adamw

9,299 post(s)
#02-Jul-20 14:05

There is a real-world use of shear: registration (a sheet of paper got scanned with a shear, etc, the data has to be unsheared). Unsurprisingly, it will be possible to shear data using our registration tools, they are currently waiting in the queue to be merged into the build.

You can shear vector data using SQL. As your slides show, that's a fairly simple matrix math that just has to be repeated for each coordinate.

LeRepère
138 post(s)
#02-Jul-20 16:01

Unsurprisingly, it will be possible to shear data using our registration tools, they are currently waiting in the queue to be merged into the build.

A very interesting tool that represents a definite advantage for M9.

Wouldn't it be possible to include it in the current version to make a .4 version (July 3) until the next one is announced for July 11th.

adamw

9,299 post(s)
#02-Jul-20 16:47

If that was possible, we'd do it, but unfortunately it is not. We have to complete the Select and Transform panes ahead of the registration because all these things share quite a bit of common code and the dependencies are such that completing registration essentially means completing the Select and Transform panes first (and if those panes are completed, we'd rather issue the build without waiting for the registration to be completed as well).

Mike Pelletier

1,759 post(s)
#03-Jul-20 16:04

It would be great if the these shear transforms were actually little handles that appear on objects in edit mode, so that we could interactively rotate, scale, and skew. Better yet if they also included a spot to type in the amount, like rotate 76.45.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2019 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.