Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - banner21
jsperr83 post(s)
#22-Jul-20 10:33

Is that Comet NEOWISE with imaging processing by Manifold 9? If so, it would make a great tutorial.

Dimitri

6,104 post(s)
#22-Jul-20 11:37

Yes, it is the Neowise comet and the processing was done with 9. If anybody hasn't seen it yet, hope for a clear night and take a look tonight, looking toward the northwest about 45 degrees up from the horizon, as very soon (couple of days) it will fade too much to be seen without binoculars or a scope.

Attached is an .mxb project with the image and various colorizations.

How it was done:

1. Import the original photo (comet3 in the project). That photo looks like a grayscale image, but it is really an RGB image.

2. Copy and paste the image (not the table, just the image), so now you can open that copy and change the Style.

3. Style that image using channel 0 or 1 or 2, with the desired number of breaks, a palette, and choosing equal intervals, equal count, and interpolate or some other method. Applying hill shading or not.

The project has a bunch of different images using different Style arrangements. Note that those don't add anything to the size of the project since they all are basically styling the same data, only one copy of which is in the table that all the images use.

There are all kinds of things you can do with Manifold to manipulate photo images, to bring out different sorts of detail, etc. For example, you could use matrix filters, or create an image with just one channel and then do curvature enhancement on it, do contours, etc.

The particular example isn't anything scientific, it just looks cool.

Attachments:
comet3.mxb

dale

558 post(s)
#22-Jul-20 11:58

Not for us Southern Hemisphere dwellers.

will have to make do with viewing inside Manifold 9!

dchall8
760 post(s)
#22-Jul-20 18:54

I saw it a couple days ago. From my angle it was below the Big Dipper and specifically below the star, Phecda in the dipper part of the BD. It was visible(ish) to the naked eye, so I knew where to look with the binoculars. It was visible only after the stars became visible. At 10pm I could still see it. I'm in the middle of the Central Time Zone in Texas...if any of that helps. We've had too many clouds to see it more recently.

tjhb

9,320 post(s)
#22-Jul-20 23:02

Although as Dale says we can't see this particular phenomenon in the southern hemisphere, a major advantage of being down here, away from the cities of course, is our dark skies.

Walk outside at night and...

You don't need a telescope (though if you have one, all the better).

We are specially lucky here at the farm, due to isolation but also to its particular topography. We really have night skies.

ColinD

1,960 post(s)
#23-Jul-20 08:23

Apparently a lot of problems with Starlink

https://twitter.com/doug_ellison/status/1285868158755074048

Aussie Nature Shots

dchall8
760 post(s)
#23-Jul-20 18:11

I think I know what you mean. I used to live 60 miles NE of Amarillo, TX. On a clear night the star field was so dense it was hard to find the Big Dipper and, really, any other constellation. They probably have a great view of this comet.

gpBike1001
37 post(s)
#24-Jul-20 16:16

I was living in Kykotsmovi, AZ (Hopi Indian Reservation, NE Arizona) in the late 1990's and saw Hale-Boppseveral timesin the star-packed darkness of the clear winter skies just outside the village. A lifetime memory.

dchall8
760 post(s)
#25-Jul-20 00:15

Comet Kohoutek was a great naked-eye comet in 1973. My college roommate and I drove 50 miles out into the desert to see it very early one morning. We should have looked up before we left home, because we could see the comet even after we returned at almost sunup.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2019 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.