Subscribe to this thread
Home - General / All posts - Replacement for Tools / Make Image in Manifold 9
dgreer6 post(s)
#27-Oct-20 20:38

Trying to learn Manifold 9. In the past I have used the Tools Make Image command in Manifold 8 to create jpg images from my maps. It was very convenient to be able to zoom into a section of the map and then select "tools", "make image" to create an image that I could export to a jpg file.

Can someone please tell me how to do this in Manifold 9? Creating a layout does not work. I need to fine tune the image to be a specific size in pixels. Also I keep getting out of memory errors when I try to export my layouts to pdf (they are way too large since I have no way of customizing a size).

Could someone please point me in the write direction?

Thank you.

tjhb
10,094 post(s)
#27-Oct-20 21:25

Can't, currently.

It's a major omission, yes.

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#28-Oct-20 01:38

Also I keep getting out of memory errors when I try to export my layouts to pdf (they are way too large since I have no way of customizing a size).

Try using a different print to PDF package. See the discussion on print to PDF software in the File - Print topic.

dgreer6 post(s)
#28-Oct-20 13:05

Thank you. The FreePDF package works much more efficiently than the Microsoft PDF driver.

The process of creating a layout is cumbersome if what you really want is a file for further manipulation. I create maps for kindle and paperback books from my manifold maps. The Make Image command in Manifold 9 allowed you to specify a specific pixel size and then export the resulting image file in a number of formats that allowed for further editing in photoshop or other graphics packages. Layout has some nice features but does not replace the need for someone like myself to create a file from a map and then make additions/adjustments.

I am wondering why the Make Image feature is not available in Manifold 9. Is it just a matter of time before the option is ported to Manifold 9 or do the developers feel that the Layout option replaces the Make Image feature? Wondering if any other Manifold user would like to see the Make Image option added to version 9.

Sloots

678 post(s)
#28-Oct-20 13:35

I use the Make Image option a lot, especially the scripted version to create many images of the same map, but zoomed in to different locations. That is the RenderTo method from a layout and then the Export method from the application object.

http://www.mppng.nl/manifold/pointlabeler

Dimitri

7,413 post(s)
#28-Oct-20 14:39

why the Make Image feature is not available in Manifold 9.

I think it's just a matter of people prioritizing other things in the suggestions they send in. Send one in if you want to nudge this up in priority.

dgreer6 post(s)
#28-Oct-20 17:49

I have sent in a suggestion. Thank you.

Manifold User Community Use Agreement Copyright (C) 2007-2021 Manifold Software Limited. All rights reserved.